Introduction to investments

Thomas D

Hi,

I am looking for advice as to getting started with investing in the stock market. I'm looking at investing a lump sum, but also investing as a regular saver type product.

Is there any 'Best Buy' advice as to the products that the banks are offering? I'm also keen to find the ones with the lower charges. I took a look at AIB and KBC websites, just looking at those two it seems AIB are cheaper in terms of charges. Are there other banks I should look at? or other types of products?

Thanks,

Keep away from the banks for investments. All there products are This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language and only there to pay FUND mangers crazy fees along with the government and their bullshit Exit tax.

So basically you investing your hard earned money for others to make a profit !!

The banks are over leveraged loaning 50 million a month to your average Joe to go down the pub 3 nights a week. They call it consumer loans.

Hello Billy,

Would you like some free debit today?

and Ireland is heading for another bust by 2021 as there will be a recession

Example lump sum investment of 500,000

240,000 in State savings ROI 16% Y10/ 5% Y5
140,000 in Commerical real estate 3% linked PA
80,000 in cash 0 PA
20,000 in blue chip shares 2% PA

Then withdraw state saving in 2021 and buy cheap property.

Keep repeating the cycle. Always pay cash for the property.

Put 15% of your income into new shares, and spend the rest on yourself.

Then move 2 years before you retire, become a tax resident of country that has no income tax from foreign investment

and bobs you uncle

another cocktails waiter?

While I wont claim to understand much of the previous post, I would agree with idea of keeping away from the banks for investments.

Prepackaged investment products are designed to make a profit for the sellers rather than the purchasers.

Thanks for the advice guys... what about maxing out my pension with AVC's... is that worth while or are those pensions still loaded with fees that eat into the pot?

Yes and Yes.

I am no expert on pension fees, and I am sure that the pension industry pays itself handsomely, but its unwise to let too much cynicism stop you taking advantage of the generous tax break available. If you are a higher rate taxpayer half your contribution can be funded by the government.

The only reason not to "max out your AVCs" in my opinion is that the money is tied up long term.

Back