Intestate Estate - How is it dealt with?

MrEarl

Hello,

If a person dies, without leaving a will (or the will cannot be found), what's the procedure for dealing with the deceased's affairs?

I appreciate that distribution of assets (net of liabilities) is in accordance with the Succession Act, but how is it implemented, how long does it take, what costs are involved etc. please?

Many thanks,

Hello,

If a person dies, without leaving a will (or the will cannot be found), what's the procedure for dealing with the deceased's affairs?

I appreciate that distribution of assets (net of liabilities) is in accordance with the Succession Act, but how is it implemented,
how long does it take, what costs are involved etc. please?
How long and how much depend on many different factors - impossible to say in the general case.

If you are a beneficiary in a intestacy estate, then you should consult a solicitor as I understand whoever is first in, gets to control the situation. By this I mean, that whilst the estate must be dealt with under the rules of intestacy, if you apply to be the person in charge you appoint the solicitor.

If you are a beneficiary in a intestacy estate, then you should consult a solicitor as I understand whoever is first in, gets to control the situation. By this I mean, that whilst the estate must be dealt with under the rules of intestacy, if you apply to be the person in charge you appoint the solicitor.
Are you sure about that?
Usually, the next of kin applies for a grant of administration. Priority is given in the following order:
  • Spouse or civil partner
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Brother or sister
  • More distant relative
The Probate Registrar will make a decision if there is doubt about who is entitled to be the administrator.

f you are a beneficiary in a intestacy estate, then you should consult a solicitor as I understand whoever is first in, gets to control the situation. By this I mean, that whilst the estate must be dealt with under the rules of intestacy, if you apply to be the person in charge you appoint the solicitor.
Yes correct to an extent; but if there are living relatives, they get first dibs on the administrator role.

Correct. The first of the direct relatives gets the gig!
That's not quite what you said earlier:

Back