Interview skills for inept engineers ...

H

Henny Penny

... just wondering whether anyone knows of courses in interview preparation?

Hi Henny Penny.

Would love to attempt an answer if I knew the question.
Are you suggesting that an inept Engineer is applying for a position as an Engineer?

Henny Penny

Go to your local library and get a book out on the subject they will all basically tell you the same things. You interview starts with your CV. You should be able to talk about everything in it. Preparation is the key to doing well. Prepare your answers. If you are a techie then you will usually get a technical interviewer and a "fluffy" HR one. Prepare what you want to say. If there are any major gaps in your CV or skills be prepared to answer questions on these. Try doing some for the experience so you are better prepared when the one you want comes along. Also if you have any friends who do interviews do mock ones with them where you have to trot out your prepared answers with a straight face. Sorry if that is a bit rambling

Nogser

Thanks for your replies ... the subject in question is ineptitude when in an interview situation ... as opposed to being an inept engineer.

My brother is qualified as an aeronautical engineer and has a MSc in manufacturing technology ... none of which prepares one for the real world. Unfortunately since 9/11 the downturn in the aviation market has hit his job prospects and lack of NATO clearance is also an issue.

I am really trying to find a course which will boost his confidence in interview situations ... including telephone manner for the terminally shy!

Thanks again.

My brother is qualified as an aeronautical engineer and has a MSc in manufacturing technology ... none of which prepares one for the real world.

I just hope he doesn't end up servicing the engines on passenger jets so! :eek

At least I now know what you mean now.

In my opinion, and considering his qualifications and profession, I don't think interview skills and outgoing personality are going to have a great bearing on being considered by most organisations.

In the most complimentary way, would you consider your brother to be bordering on the eccentric?

If so, then have a cross sectional look at most of our Professors and the great technical minds of our time (not saying that they are all in the same category). "Social outcasts" would be a light term for many!

Of course the shyness aspect is going to have a bearing on the so called "teamworker" requisites of certain oraganisations, but this requisite is not common to all.

If aviation is his bag then I trust he is prepared to work anywhere

Have you sniffed around

www.pprune.org/

Ground ops > engineers & technisians forum ( or would he be above that ? )

( dont let him see the "Engineer sucked through 737 engine" thread )

Re: ...

Could I suggest something a little different. I interview a lot and often find that people either don’t know themselves very well, or try to be something different in interview (big mistake). In my opinion the first thing to do is understand how you think and how you behave, then develop a story around how these traits his will best benefit the interviewer.

Could I suggest trying a simple personality test this way he can play to his strengths and begin to manage his weaknesses.

I know this isn’t exactly the question that was asked but I hope it helps.

Nat

Re: ...

Thanks NatCh for the interesting observation and the reference to the personality web page.

A website about Psychological Type, based primarily upon the works of Carl G. Jung, pioneer psychologist, and of Isabel Briggs Myers, creator of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)

Thanks

... for all the replies. Will pass them on to party in question.

Re: Thanks

Hi Henny Penny

I have worked in recruitment for many years at a managment level and have interviewed all sorts of people.

I've also designed and ran training courses on interveiw skills, getting the right job, CV preparation etc...

I am currently in the process of setting up a company to run various courses in this area and would be happy to put something together for your brother for a reasonable fee.

Let me know if you still need some assistance.

Interview skill

Thanks Holly ... very kind of you to offer ... fortunately he got himself job on Monday ... it's academic so his lack of interview skills were not an issue ... they just asked him engineering type questions.

If I hear of anyone else looking for a job and in need of assistance ... I will point them in your direction ... good luck with your new venture ... I'm sure there will be plenty of demand for it.

Back