Interview advice

Calezi

Hi,
I'm working at middle management level Civil Service.
Recently interviewed for senior position - two stage interview followed by presentation.
Didn't make the final panel.
Would hope to apply again in a year's time and would like to start working towards that interview now!
Any advice on where to seek assistance to review CV, prepare for interview etc.?

First port of call would be to seek feedback from the people who interviewed you already.

Work on your presentation skills. 99.999% of people are appalling at it because:

a) they can't structure the content of their presentations
b) they don't set the expectations of the audience
c) they have never developed presentation skills

A big part of my job for years with a multinational was presenting technical stuff to managers and technicians alike. All material to be presented outside the organisation was vetted and the presenter was videoed and vetted by peers, topic and communications experts, and psychs for twitches, drools and quirks (not really the last). The medium to be used was assessed, flip-chart, acetates, PowerPoint, video, mixed media, etc.

Buy a book like Presentations Plus by David A. Peoples, John Wiley & Sons and unless you have a ball-buster of an approach, follow his guidance. HTH Best of Luck. Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.

p.s. I just noticed my copy is 1988 and the most recent I can find online is 1992.

Last edited:
Back