Internet telephony

O

oilean

Has anyone any experience of it in practice?

PC to phone calls

I have broadband at home but do not know where to start

I have searched google but all websites directed to give more questions than answers

I am interested in caling from Ireland to Barbados

Currently using callcards and getting around 18-19 minutes for €5

Any suggestions appreciated

Stu

i think you're talking about 'voip'.i'm interested to know if it's available here

skype me!<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Bear in mind that skype is P2P (peer-to-peer) technology. This means that your ADSL bandwidth will (okay, could because we are at an endpoint of the 'net backbone) be used to carry the network traffic of others. So even if you are not skypeing, skype is using your PC and ADSL download quota.

Max - I don't think Skype uses bandwidth or processor power for anyone other than those involved directly in the call. This type of model works where the content being shared over the peer network is static (like .MP3s), but where the content is dynamic and unique (like all voice calls) there is no advantage to routing anything through another point - it would just add delay.

There might theoretically be some advantage where the connection could break in and out of someones fast global network (like connecting in through someones desktop in Microsoft in Sandyford and back out again in Washington, taking advantage of Microsofts bandwidth provision between the sites), but I honestly don't think this is the case.

I have used Skype once or twice from home for Skype-out calls to the UK and it worked well each time. We are thinking of adopting it in work where we make a lot of expensive international calls each day.

z

Wow!​
<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Something for nothing? You are sure? Did you read the fine print?<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->I read it for you, and here is a snippet -
-----------------------​
Decentralized P2P networks have several advantages over traditional client-server networks. These networks scale indefinitely without decreasing search time and without the need for costly centralized resources. They utilize the processing and networking power of the end-users machines since these resources always grow in direct proportion to the network itself. Each new node added to the network adds potential processing power and bandwidth to the network. Thus, by decentralizing resources, second generation (2G) P2P networks have been able to virtually eliminate costs associated with a large centralized infrastructure.
-----------------------​
<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->And thanks for the commercial-grade bandwidth, . <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->I'll be thinking about your firm's internet access charges whilst
sypesplashscreen.jpg
ing Guatemala!

Max,

Interesting link. I see now that they have implemented a decentralised directory and this is indeed not apparent to most people (except those that read the explanation) including myself. This is a definite minus point.

I still don't fully understand their rationale behind routing calls through devices other than the endpoints (and the network infrastructure in between) since voice traffic by its nature is very time and order sensitive and is not really suited to having packets processed and queued more often than necessary. I do accept that it can sometimes be used as in my example above - to utilise someones dedicated fast links between sites rather than through the generally unpredictable internet.

I don't think I said there was something for nothing involved. I know they make money on the Skypeout charges. No reason to believe that they wouldn't provide free point to point calls utilising only the bandwidth available to each endpoint.

Do you have any external-source criticisms of Skype ? And before you get all defensive - I am interested in hearing them, not just challenging you.

For the moment I am going to disable access to Skype and associated applications and ports on my firewall and see what alerts come up.

z

Here's the [broken link removed], .<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Joe Bloggs in ROI using AD(amn)S(low)L(ink), will not be the unwitting host of others
sypesplashscreen.jpg
VOIP traffic.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Mr. SME with a partial- or full T1 link will. Once
sypesplashscreen.jpg
detects a path with reasonable round-trip packet times, it becomes the target of Joe Bloggs'
sypesplashscreen.jpg
calls.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->But your dim IT-support types still think its free. So
sypesplashscreen.jpg
away from the office. We need more bandwidth (yours).

Max - you're a great man for providing links to nothing in particular. That is indeed the straight dope, but I don't see what it has to do with Skype. A search of the archive on 'Skype' returns nothing. If there is anything meaningful relating to Skype in the Straight Dope, then please link to it. Or maybe it's a secret.

I still remain sceptical (but open to be convinced) about the logic of voice taking an alternative path to utilise someones fast link. In order to use my super fast link the voice first has to come down the link from my provider (really quickly of course) and then back out the same link (again really quickly). This doesn't achieve anything other than introducing delay. The voice traffic would be better off just transiting through my provider, or even more logically avoiding my provider entirely unless it happens to be on the best available route at the time of the call.

z

, I simply enjoy Cecil Adams' writing (and I was attempting to deliver the straight dope on
sypesplashscreen.jpg
and I nicked the logo.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->A wee
logo_sm.gif
kicked up this gem from the
sypesplashscreen.jpg
EULA (take a deep breath) -
<snip><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Article 4. Permission to Utilize<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->4.1 Permission to utilize Your computer. In order to receive the benefits provided by the Skype Software, you hereby grant permission for the Skype Software to utilize the processor and bandwidth of Your computer for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication between You and other Skype Software users.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->4.2 Protection of Your computer (resources). You understand that the Skype Software will use its commercially reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and integrity of Your computer resources and Your communication, however, You acknowledge and agree that Skype cannot give any warranties in this respect. <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--></snip>
<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->But then, IANAL.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->A couple more items -
[broken link removed]<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Why?
[broken link removed]
I am not against the product, only attempting to tease out some of the issues.

"But your dim IT-support types still think its free"

just wondering what you are implying there?

just wondering what you are implying there?

There's a lot of heat but no lack of light in what Max Hopper is saying. Some people will assume that there is such a thing as a free lunch when it comes to offers such as "free" internet telephony deals. However as usual there is a quid pro quo - in this case in terms of the service provider exploiting users' bandwidth. No doubt this is stated in the terms & conditions but how many people really read the small print. Of course this doesn't stop them crying foul when reality bites. :\

ah- i thought he was having a go at it support technicians.
Wouldn't really make any sense- the most surreal nonsense seems to come out of the marketing types where I work..
(and I'm neither it support or marketing :) )

Back