Internet Speed

cremeegg

So we got fibre to the home recently yippee!

Whenever I do a speed test now I get 50mbs or so whereas I used to get 7 to 10.

Can watch netflix now with no buffering great.

However loading a website is as slow if not slower that ever. Is there some other issue that affects how quickly pages respond different from watching movies. Thanks for any info.

Many many reasons, way too numerous to mention and are beyond the scope of AAM.
A simple google of 'slow loading pages' returns over over 105 million results.

However there are some simple remedies you can try to make sure it is not your PC or browser causing unnecessary delays.
Have a read here:-

50mbs seems slow for fibre - can you post a fill set of results from a speedtest site? Screenshot would do.
There is also latency to consider, which can make browsing slow especially if a lot of your neighbours are online at the same time.

There are many possible reasons. I would start by using Chrome - in my experience the most responsive browser.

50mbs seems slow for fibre - can you post a fill set of results from a speedtest site? Screenshot would do.
There is also latency to consider, which can make browsing slow especially if a lot of your neighbours are online at the same time.
It may be eFibre - fibre to the cabinet and then copper to the home

In this case 50Mb/s is probably as good as it gets - depending on distance to the cabinet. That's what I get and I'm about 400m from cabinet
Initially I was getting 70Mb/s but as more people joined, the connection became less reliable and it was throttled back to 50Mb/s

This would not be a latency issue, more of a contention ratio problem, which will affect streaming as well as browsing.

DNS is the first thing that comes to mind. It's a process which maps domain names (eg. www.foo.com) to ip addresses (eg 134.321.123.222).
When you type "www.foo.com" into the browser, the browser asks Eircom's Domain Name Server for the site's ip address. Only at that point can you start communicating with the site itself. If eircom's DNS is slow, it could be delaying you for a few seconds each time you visit a new site.

Try changing to a fast third-party dns and see if that helps:
Cloudflare: https://1.1.1.1/dns/
Google: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

It'll also make it _slightly_ harder for eircom to track your web activity.

It'll also make it _slightly_ harder for eircom to track your web activity.
Eh? how so? His internet provider will always be able to track the incoming and outgoing data packets - the content may well be encrypted, but the ip addresses will be available or else the packets will not arrive at the correct destination

Eh? how so? His internet provider will always be able to track the incoming and outgoing data packets - the content may well be encrypted, but the ip addresses will be available or else the packets will not arrive at the correct destination
Hence my emphasis on the word _slightly_ :)

A private/3rd party dns server is a much bigger privacy gain when it's used in conjunction with a vpn/proxy.
Without the vpn, the _small_ benefit is that the ISP can't pull a customer's dns lookups. They've got to do the tiny bit of extra work to log the customer's packet traffic and do reverse dns lookups to correlate ip addresses with site names.

Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 18.07.43.png

He Alkers86 here is the screenshot of the speed test. This shows 35 Mbps, though usually a bit higher.

I'd be inclined to look at the wifi service within the house, distance from router or interference with.
If you've got dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, then 5Ghz should be the band to use.
Try the test from right beside the router, and then from your other/usual locations in the home.

Results obtained using WiFi are meaningless, and as such are not accepted by any provider as a point of argument over low broadband speeds.
A lot better is to use the shortest lan lead possible with nothing else connected to the router and WiFi disabled.
This will still only get you a 'ballpark' figure as there are still (home) variables within this setup, eg. MTU, TTL, Black Hole detection, Lan port setup/type/drivers etc. Not to mention if using Windows, what MS wish to spy on today, will all affect perceived D/L speed.

Just to rule out many of the above queries:
All that you changed was your internet provider? Same computer, router/modem, browser, websites etc?
You're getting ok speeds but delay on each website beginning to load - once it starts loading it loads relatively quickly?

Just to rule out many of the above queries:
All that you changed was your internet provider? Same computer, router/modem, browser, websites etc?

Changed from a satellite system to a Fibre to the home system with a new provider.

The new provider supplied new router/modem. Same computer browser etc.

You're getting ok speeds but delay on each website beginning to load - once it starts loading it loads relatively quickly?
Exactly.

Use DuckDuckGo as a browser search engine Check it out. Also if your mac is plugged directly into the junction box it will probably be way faster. Using a router slows things down. You are blessed to have that speed I have 4.35MB download crawl.

Last edited:
Using a router slows things down.

They'll need the modem element of the router though... Not sure the OP has a Mac, but they've dropped RJ45 ports on the modern MacBooks, so an optional Thunderbolt adapter is required for a wired connection.

Back