Internet intermittently slowing down to a crawl

All in all, great service from Virgin. I haven't had much dealings with them since they took over UPC. UPC was really the pits.

I rang on Friday.
The phone was answered within a few minutes.
She said it was probably the modem and sent me out a new modem.
It arrived on Saturday.

I rang yesterday to say it had not fixed the problem. Again, got through in about 5 or 6 minutes.
They offered me an appointment in the morning or afternoon. The guy rang me 20 minutes before he arrived.

Brendan

He said the problem was definitely the old box and wiring. And it should be fixed now.
Will be interesting to see if you have further degradation. Dodgy wiring should only really result in that kind of variance if they are being moved about.

He is finished now.

He said the problem was definitely the old box and wiring. And it should be fixed now.

He also plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop saying it was much better than going over wifi. (I had tried to plug it in but thought it was too big. I didn't need an adapter.)

Brendan
it is one of those ethernet ports where you have to fold down the bottom, they use them for space saving but im sure they are prone to failure! anyway.

Glad they have done something, be interested to see if that was the root of the problem.

OK, I have not noticed any outages or slowness since his visit yesterday.

1649957603262.png
When I "woke up" the laptop this morning, it appears to have lost its connection.

And there seems to have been a 3 seconds outage just before midday.

Brendan

Hello,

I've read this thread with interest, having had a very similar experience, only a few months ago.

I have the Virgin 500mbs service.

* Replaced the modem, didn't solve it
* Over the phone tests, didn't solve it
* Virgin technician called, appeared to make some progress by replacing the box, but still had issues
* I ultimately replaced my PC (I had a 3-4yr old machine, which couldn't update to Windows 11, but had all other updates done, and wasn't causing any issues on Windows 10, with either Firefox or Chrome browsers). Guess what, the new machine works like a dream, when I access the internet, over WiFi...average download speeds are high 300s,with the PC upstairs and modern downstairs.

BTW - while distance from the modem plays its part, WiFi is not half as bad, as some here are suggesting.

I just ran a speed test on my phone, over WiFi, in the last few minutes - 439 downland and 45 upload speeds. Ping 8ms. Jitter 2ms. Loss 0.0%. I'm about 15ft away from the modem, and there's a door between us.

Virgin are expensive, particularly when you look at what fibre broadband costs in the UK, but unless you are connected to SIRO, Virgin are the best option. (Starlink could be an option, but again, the service isn't cheap).

Last, but not least, like Brendan, my overall experience with Virgin was very good (they had issues a few months earlier, with long wait times, but they seem to have resolved the difficulties).

Last edited:
* I ultimately replaced my PC (I had a 3-4yr old machine

But did you not test it on your phone or with a laptop?

If I had been poor response times on my laptop and a great response on my phone, I would have thought it was my laptop set up, as someone here suggested earlier.

Brendan

But did you not test it on your phone or with a laptop?

If I had been poor response times on my laptop and a great response on my phone, I would have thought it was my laptop set up, as someone here suggested earlier.

Brendan

Yes, I did in the early stages, where the problems were consistent across all devices. After the replacement modem, and having had the technician visit, it was just the PC that was dropping in and out.

It was only later, when everything else was working fine, and I don't getting good continous speeds, that then resorted to buying the new computer.

Back