Internet Forum Habitual Posters: Sad or Just Bores

Brianne

Talking to a number of friends lately about the wonders of modern technology etc and the subject of internet use came up. A common story was of people really getting interested in using it initially and enjoying it . Many joined various forums and found some useful but one and all found that after the initial novelty , sometimes lasting up to a year, they found a sameness in many forums.
The overwhelming conclusion was that on many forums, you found a certain type of individual. The person seemed to always have an opinion, was ready for fight and seemed to get involved in all kinds of discussions and rarely had a good word to say about anyone. Equally many forums were dominated by 'smart mouths' who were patronising and frankly either rude or abrupt and judging by their frequent posting mustn't have a whole lot else going on in their lives.
The conclusion was that yes there is a danger out there of interacting with people who frankly aren't great and whom one would avoid like the plague in real life.
Thoughts ???

Have a look at the members list and redefine by amount of posts.

Apart from myself, I'd be chuffed if I ended up at a social gathering of any description with those posters. Some of them I completely disagree with on any number of issues but they are articulate, intelligent and interesting.

I would agree with the argument when it comes to some other forums, but frankly, AAM is special.

Have a look at the members list and redefine by amount of posts.

Apart from myself, I'd be chuffed if I ended up at a social gathering of any description with those posters. Some of them I completely disagree with on any number of issues but they are articulate, intelligent and interesting.

I would agree with the argument when it comes to some other forums, but frankly, AAM is special.

Vanilla - great post! Come along on 20 November and see if you still hold that view!

Brendan

Don't worry Brianne :) you definitely don't seem like that! Even if you were posting at 3am :D

Thanks So-Crates, jet lagged is the only excuse. Still curious to hear opinions.

I frequent 3 different internet forums on a regular basis, and do wonder sometimes if I am sad or not.

OK a lot of times its me giving my own opinion, and often it ends up in debates as others will obviously not agree with your point of view.

But I also find I often can give good advice from experience to people who are asking certain questions, looking for a place to get something etc. And I have also got good advice over the years from others. So in that respect I think there is definitely some use to internet forums.

What I can't understand is the explosion in the use of things like Facebook and Bebo. So many people I know are now constantly on these sites, but I just can't grasp the concept or logic of them.

Weirdo's the lot of them!;)

One of the modules covered on my information systems degree was website usability and the idea of online communities. There has been quite a bit of research done into online communities (what are the attributes and characteristics of good online communities, who uses them etc etc).

One fact I recall from reading some of the research on the subject was that there was evidence that people who are heavy users of online forums/chat rooms/communities to the detriment of off line social interaction suffer from higher rates of depression and other related illnesses!

I think that a lot of the success of a forum website is to do with moderation. Like many of you, I'm a member of a few such sites.

There's one Cork based one that I'm a member of and moderation there doesn't seem to exist at all. I thought of it immediately when I read Brianne's post. A thread starts and, within 4 or 5 replies, it will often have gone off topic with established (legends in their own minds) members posting nasty stuff and causing it to degenerate into farce. The amount of bad language and insult trading there is totally OTT and I find I rarely even visit the site anymore. Some of my friends find it difficult to take the site seriously also.

All sites have a mix of "the good, the bad and the ugly." AAM is no different but, in many ways, it's a bit special. There's a certain sense of family or community here that I haven't found on any other site. Like Vanilla, I disagree with many opinions expressed by some posters but I enjoy reading them when they are well argued. And I enjoy putting my points of view also.

After a while here, we learn how far we can go with comments and expression of thoughts and feelings. I've received a few clips across the ear here, as I know many more of you have. We mightn't always agree with the Mods but they do a pretty decent job in helping to make AAM the success it is. Members who are OTT don't seem to last too long around here.

But, as I've indicated in the past, it's the ordinary members who make the biggest contribution to this site. It's a great place to come if you need a particular piece of advice and it's also a great place to come if you just want to hop something out to people.

In answer to the OP, I don't think habitual posters are sad or boring, generally, although there will always be the exception. For many, it's a wonderful way of interacting with others in a way and at a pace that suits them. And it allows people to give and receive advice or express their feelings in a controlled environment.

I'd also love to be at a social gathering of AAM members. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it on the 20th but I'll certainly try. The long journey up and the fear of having to drink Guinness instead of Beamish are weighing heavily on my mind!

Do any of you intend to travel a long distance to be there on the night? (Asked he, who gives out about threads going off topic!) ;)

Its a bit of diversion, it can become addictive at times but overall its just a good place to share information or have a debate.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of now frequenting only The Depths, with very occasional forays into the 'serious' side. I came for the serious and stayed for the craic. Laziness on my part in not contributing to the other stuff, as I'd have the background for it, but it seems too much like own job for me.

Got onto Facebook about a year ago, I find it great for keeping in touch.

The conclusion was that yes there is a danger out there of interacting with people who frankly aren't great and whom one would avoid like the plague in real life.
Thoughts ???

agreed. But i think it's more like going out for a night with a group of friends and meeting up with some of their aquaintances who you dislike, and having to be in their company. You wouldn't be in their company if you had the choice, but you'd miss out on the company of your friends if you leave.

It's a bit like masturbation. If it's used in conjunction with social interaction, then it is a healthy practice. But as a substitute for the real thing --------- that's a different story, as your analyst will confirm. Jeez! I can't believe I just said that. :eek:

Wow, Chocs, that's fairly deep!!!! I think you need to get out a bit more! And social interaction won't make you blind... ;)

I'd also love to be at a social gathering of AAM members. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it on the 20th but I'll certainly try. The long journey up and the fear of having to drink Guinness instead of Beamish are weighing heavily on my mind!

Do any of you intend to travel a long distance to be there on the night? (Asked he, who gives out about threads going off topic!) ;)

Maybe . . . just maybe, like, the AAMers in the PRC & environs who can't make Dublin might like to get together somewhere local themselves between now & Christmas. The Long Valley for a pint & a doorstop of a hang sangwich maybe. That way no ill effects from drinking the wrong stuff. :D

If it's not Dublin, it's Cork. :rolleyes: ;)

What about the rest of us??

Seriously, there's probably a case for various regional get togethers.

Maybe we could form provincial subcommittees and social clubs and to hell with the rest of yiz! :D

But according to you Caveat "Location: is what you make it"

:)

It is in your power to make "Location: Dublin" or "Location: Cork". Course for me it would be easier if it was in Carlow! :D

Maybe . . . just maybe, like, the AAMers in the PRC & environs who can't make Dublin might like to get together somewhere local themselves between now & Christmas. The Long Valley for a pint & a doorstop of a hang sangwich maybe. That way no ill effects from drinking the wrong stuff. :D

There is nothin like the hang sangwich you get from the Long Valley, has to be the fact that the grill is maggoty and every conconction of sandwich goes on the same grill. Nyom nyom!

AAM is class apart from most other such sites mainly due to the firm but fair moderation, and it's core of knowledgeable contributors. It even has room for less progressive types, like me :).

Quote JJ1982
There is nothin like the hang sangwich you get from the Long Valley, has to be the fact that the grill is maggoty and every conconction of sandwich goes on the same grill. Nyom nyom!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My favourite pub in the whole wide world, lads. A pork salad sandwich and a pint of Beamish.... Heaven on earth!!! :cool:

S.L.F. came to town one night but he got there late and they'd stopped doing sandwiches so I ended up meeting him in the Chateau. He'll never know what he missed.............. ;)

Back