"Internet Explorer has encountered an error and will shut down"

boaber

Going to try and post this quickly..........

I keep getting the error message "Internet Explorer has encountered an error and will shut down". It hasn't happened whilst browsing AAM though! But if I go onto any other site it shuts down on me.

This has only happened today. Is there anything I can check for?

I presume this will go away when you restart but you should do the following anyway:

Do Scans with:

Ad Aware*
SpyBot
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
CCleaner

Update programs first of course.

Get latest updates from Microsoft for OS.

Get Ad Aware SE Personal not 2007 which runs a memory hogging service called aawservice.exe.

Problem still happening today...

Have cleared all cookies, temp files etc.

Used my Norton Internet Security to check for problems, to no avail.

I went onto windows help centre on line. It seems other users are having similar problems with IE7 on vista.

On solution, which seems to be working is to run IE without add-ons....but I'm not too happy about doing this as it has disabled Norton.

The exact message I'm getting is "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close and notify you if a solution is available.

Then nothing happens. Can anyone help me out?

You may be able to repair internet explorer , selcect it under add/remove programs (in the control panel) and it may give a repair option....

Try installing & using firefox for time been. You may have to go to another computer, download the firefox install.exe & transfer over onto 'faulty' computer via usb flash key & then install if you cant enter mozilla site via internet explorer initially. Another useful mini browser is offby one.

Thanks for all the tips guys, will def try firefox.

The problem seems to be with the add-ons. I seem to be able to browse with no problems when I disable them.

Just need to figure out which on is causing the problem.

Am on a new computer that came preloaded with Vista & IE. Seems to be a IE problem rather than an OS problem.

IE7 has tabbed browsing. Firefox is not immune from security issues. Having said that I prefer Firefox but don't depend on just the browser to maintain system integrity.

This vista problem still has not seen a solution forthcoming from microsoft..
But this should sort it for you
Goto Internet options>advanced> Phising Filter & select turn off automatic website checking

This vista problem still has not seen a solution forthcoming from microsoft..
But this should sort it for you
Goto Internet options>advanced> Phising Filter & select turn off automatic website checking

Thanks Colm, will try that this evening to see if it works. Although I was able to download Firefox whilst browsing with IE with no add-ons. Will prob keep this as my default browser.

I had a good look around the MS help fourm, looks like there is no definitive solution available for this error and it seems to be quite common

Back