Internet Explorer 7

Ciadan

Firstly, please excuse me as I'm an idiot technophobe. :eek:

OK, so my pc is telling me that IE7 is now available for installation... so do I or don't I? Any advice greatly appreciated.:confused:

I downloaded IE7 when I got my new PC at the end of last year. It's worked fine so far (tempting fate here!). I especially like the "tabbed" feature on the screen - you can have several internet pages open at the same time in the same window, and use tabs to move between them.

I use Windows XP.

I agree with gipimann - the tabbed browser feature is very handy. I've had no problems with IE7.

I dont use IE. I use Firefox instead.

I used firefox untill it recently started playing up for me, it keeps closing itself down (esp when I click on a link) I removed any addons - no joy, I uninstalled & reinstalled it - no joy, I have gone back to using IE7 now & have had no problems (yet)

I've had problems with Java applets in IE7 that I dont have in Firefox

For example the graphs on this website
[broken link removed]

I've had no problem with Firefox on the same page (which also has tabbed browsing, although I do prefer IE7)

I downloaded IE7 yesterday but don't like it, in particular the way one has to scroll down through the favourites list.

Is there a way I can get IE6 back ?

Thanks

I downloaded IE7 yesterday but don't like it, in particular the way one has to scroll down through the favourites list.

Is there a way I can get IE6 back ?

Thanks

As far as I remember you can uninstall it from the Add/Remove programme in windows XP and it just reverts back to IE6. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of it myself.

IE7 conflict with some programmes, Essbase, for example, so be careful. However, if you do discover a conflict, you can uninstall IE7 and reinstall IE6.

I downloaded IE7 yesterday but don't like it, in particular the way one has to scroll down through the favourites list

Should be no problem with this - you can dock the favourites window at the left hand side just like IE6. Press Alt+C and push the green arrow (Pin The Favourites Centre). You can organise into folders and subfolders etc. so its no different really.

Last edited:
I can't see any good reason not to to install IE7. But I use firefox for most of browsing anyway.

Should be no problem with this - you can dock the favourites window at the left hand side just like IE6. Press Alt+C and push the green arrow (Pin The Favourites Centre). You can organise into folders and subfolders etc. so its no different really.

Thanks for that, only problem I see is that one has to do this every time ? Even after pinning it ??

I don't know if anyone else agrees but since downloading IE7 I have noticed a marked increase in the amount of spam I am receiving, very noticeable to that particular download event.

I don't know if anyone else agrees but since downloading IE7 I have noticed a marked increase in the amount of spam I am receiving, very noticeable to that particular download event.

You mean email spam?
This wouldnt be related to you using IE 7.

Yes e-mail spam, it's just very coincidental that the increase occured same day as downloading IE7

Yes e-mail spam, it's just very coincidental that the increase occured same day as downloading IE7

Was that the only thing you did that day? Its extremely unlikely theres any connection. Why should a browser cause more email spam? Doesn't make sense.

Seems to me you are against from the start for some reason. I think its a lot better than IE6 because of the tabs. Wish they hadn't mucked about with the rest of the interface though. I use IE7 for work all day no problems. For my own browsing I much prefer firefox.

Most likely a case of post/cum hoc ergo propter hoc. :)

I had to look that up on Wiki.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, Latin for "after this, therefore because of this", is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) which states, "Since that event followed this one, that event must have been caused by this one." It is often shortened to simply post hoc and is also sometimes referred to as false cause or coincidental correlation. It is subtly different from the fallacy cum hoc ergo propter hoc, in which the chronological ordering of a correlation is insignificant.
Post hoc is a particularly tempting error because temporal sequence appears to be integral to causality. The fallacy lies in coming to a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors that might rule out the connection. Most familiarly, many superstitious beliefs and magical thinking arise from this fallacy.

Thanks for that, only problem I see is that one has to do this every time ? Even after pinning it ??

Nope... it should remember you pinned it. Maybe you had a situation as follows: you had 1 IE open with it not pinned, and another open where you pinned it, and then shut them down in the order: pinned, not-pinned... then it would remember the not-pinned version.... basically it does work ok.

Back