Internet connection without a landline

Rose

How do I go about getting an internet connection for my laptop without a landline in an area where there isin't great mobile phone (vodafone) coverage. Are there other mobile companies who might have better coverage in the North West?

hi rose
no connection to them but i would recommend three.ie and their mifi wireless router I got one for my mum and it works great for her and we can all connect wirelessly in the house when we need it when we visit you can also carry it with you. 19.99 per month and they seem to have good coverage around the country and i think they are obliged to make sure your signal is good as they have the government contract to provide wifi hope this helps you can actually check the coverage in your area on their website they have a map you can use for this

hi rose
no connection to them but i would recommend three.ie and their mifi wireless router I got one for my mum and it works great for her and we can all connect wirelessly in the house when we need it when we visit you can also carry it with you. 19.99 per month and they seem to have good coverage around the country and i think they are obliged to make sure your signal is good as they have the government contract to provide wifi hope this helps you can actually check the coverage in your area on their website they have a map you can use for this

That may be true but the one and only experience I had of them was that they checked that the broadband was working correctly in their shop not at the house where the customer wanted it to work, they said the speed was perfect when in fact at the house it was worse than dial up internet.

It took a long time for them to accept their coverage was lousy.

My one experience of using mobile broadband was on a device supplied by 3. It was shocking. A 100MB iTunes update took around 10 hours, and this in a suburb 3 miles from Dublin city centre. Made me pine for a 28800 dial-up modem :rolleyes:.

That contract has since been cancelled.

Midband, which is the broadband you get using one of those little dongles you plug into your laptop, will never be as good as that you receive down a phoneline.

I took out a couple of trial and they do have times when you can get 2mbps on them, but you also get long periods lasting hours when you might as well not bother using it, cos its so slow.

You also should be aware the three.ie service is prone to problems with rain. I have both O2 and Three.ie modems and a landline/broadband, O2 is the best after the landline

have you tried west net i used to be with them before i moved house.

[broken link removed]

Rose what do you want to use internet for!

I use it mainly for banking/shopping and info thru googling or forums.

Am using meteor dongle but I am close to the transmitter and the reliability has been fantastic over past 2yrs. Most times I get a full 3g signal.

They call it mobile broadband but it is only midband. But suits me fine.

I can watch utube videos and save them using http://www.zamzar.com/url/

Reliability depends on:

how close you are to the transmitter.
What you want to use the internet for.
Congestion, how many people are using it at the same time.

Get a dongle or modem on a weeks free trial and see what the signal is like first before you commit or best of all go for true broadband which is available via satellite but tends to be expensive.

Back