Internal door window-can they be sandblasted or alternative to create privacy?

pudzer

I have lots of internal doors with clear glass to allow light flow through the house. In one room, I would like more privacy and am regretting not putting in sandblasted glass. Do I have a good, 'cheap' diy option to create privacy in this room now? I wondered if something like sandblasted stickons were available where I could just stick them onto the windows in question.

Btw, it is a new house and I would like something that looks really good, not a diy job if possible!

Thanks
Pudzer

I have seen frosted glass effect stick-ons in either B&Q or Homebase. As far as I recall, they come in fairly decent-sized sheets or rolls, and can be cut to size. I also saw a spray being used on an episode of Property Ladder, again giving a frosted effect, but there was the proviso that you would have to be really careful to spray it on evenly to get a good result.

I have lots of internal doors with clear glass to allow light flow through the house. In one room, I would like more privacy and am regretting not putting in sandblasted glass. Do I have a good, 'cheap' diy option to create privacy in this room now? I wondered if something like sandblasted stickons were available where I could just stick them onto the windows in question.

Btw, it is a new house and I would like something that looks really good, not a diy job if possible!

Thanks
Pudzer

the stickons will definitley look like a DIY job...

why not get a glazer to measure the panes and cut some translucent glas for it...

cant see it costing more than €150

why not get a glazer to measure the panes and cut some translucent glas for it...

cant see it costing more than €150

Syd have you any idea what it costs to get glass cut, delivered and installed, depending on the type of door and whether or not there are any curves you could be talking between €50 (get it cut yourself and install yourself) and €200 per door.

Now the man (I assume "pudzer" would have to be a man) has as he put it "lots of doors", so this option would not be on.

Perhaps an option would be to take the glass out of the doors (carefully) and sandblast (you'd need to hire one or hire a man to do it for you) them out the back and then put them back into their respective doors.

You'll only need to sand blast 1 side.

pudzer if you go down this route you'll need to budget for buying glass for some of the doors because the chances are you'll end up breaking several pieces of glass.

hes only talking about one door..... thus the approx 150 quote....

pudzer said:
In one room, I would like more privacy and am regretting not putting in sandblasted glass..

We live on a busy road near Croke Park and had some window film (installed by a professional but I'm sorry I can't remember the name) put on the inside of all panes, we got 6 half windows done & 1 full window (overlooking neighbour) and I think it was in the region of €300 and in my opinion it looks great & gives great privacy.

hes only talking about one door..... thus the approx 150 quote....

There's a lot to be said for not reading so fast.

If there are curves in the glass it will be more unless he intends to do a DIY job.

If straight edges then I would say if it was a DIY job €40 to €60 would cover it, DIY be a much cheaper option.

Get the measurement call the glass suppliers ask for toughtened Satin glass remove the old glass and all the old silicone, putin silicone in the frame and install the new glass the put the slips back in place.

:D I have one room. However, I have 4 doors in it!

I got clear glass installed in them last week so no fear that I will be getting more new glass in them again for a long time!

Each door cost approx. €100 for materials and fitting.

I am female.

Hope all questions have been answered!!

P.S. I might try the DIY roll and will keep you informed.

Wouldn't recommend the diy stuff - looks cheap and nasty.

Would you consider just one or two stained glass doors - i sourced mine in a salvage yard (they cost peanuts) and after a bit of elbow grease they look great - even in a modern house.

There are also companies who will make new ones to order - see link below for example (i have no idea what they charge however).

http://www.glasshaus.ie/

the spray can works very well and is really easy to do. did it before on the glass on my back door and it came up a treat

Back