Interest rates & inflation

bearbear

Hi all,

Thoughts on mortgage rates? They have been steadily decreasing the last few years but with the risk of inflation rising on the horizon are we all better off fixing for a longer term?

Cheers,

BB

So fix for a shorter term in the hope rates will have reduced further? A lot of banks are offering say 3 year / 5 year fixed term at similar enough interest rates

In my opinion, and that's all it is, there's room for a tightening of margins, given where wholesale markets are. I'd like to see 10 year rates well under 3% before fixing for a longer term.
I think we'll see 3 year rates settling around 2.2 - 2.3% mark, and then that rate being made available for longer terms rather than banks dropping headline rates below 2%.
KBC were offering a 10 year rate just under 3% in early 2008. Wholesale rates have dropped a lot since then, but mortgage rates haven't followed yet.

Given lower competition in the market (Ulster exiting) - do you expect there's going to be enough competition to drive down the margins on the mortgage products?

What would be the first sign that would indicate higher inflation/rates going up in the future? I.e.: will people be able to fix long term before rates rise? (I'm guessing no, however, I'm curious..)

Back