interest rate applied to compensation award held by court

DonKing

Hello, could someone provide an estimate of the interest you would expect on a compensation award held by the court for a minor. The award was made in 2004 and the minor turns 18 April 2018. Thanks

There is no 'interest rate'. Funds are invested and you get what they are worth when you seek repayment. They are not kept in cash so as in all investments, they may fall as well as rise.

Thanks for that. Is there an indication somewhere as to what a 14 old deposit would be worth now. I have searched the Internet and found various reports reporting on the performance of the funds over short periods but not over a longer period such as 14 years. Thanks

I have no recent experience of this, but I received a small payout as a minor following involvement in a car crash that was invested for more than 10 years in the same scenario. It was worth almost exactly the same as when it went in when I got it - perhaps ten or twenty quid more. I had been told that by the solicitor, I think - whatever way they invest them, its to guarantee they don't lose value so in reality barely any increase is usually seen. As I say, that's a very out of date experience - I received my payout in the early 2000s - but I would be surprised if their approach to investment had changed in the intervening period.

Back