Insuring and taxing a car you don't yet own?

Trinacheile

Is it possible to insure yourself on a car when you're not the owner?
We have a family car, the named owner is recently deceased, and it's been off the road for months, so the tax expired.
We want to be able to use it but no-one is insured on it and it's not taxed.
Can we get insured on it ourselves even though it's not yet been transferred to our ownership?
Plus how does the tax work? I know we have to tell the guards it's been off the road and get them to stamp something. But can we tax it when we don't own it?

Thanks

AFAIK you need to get a letter from the solicitor dealing with the estate of the deceased confirming the new owner of the vehicle.

As it's been off the road, you can get a tax renewal form at the garda station confirming the date the last tax disc expired. Then enter the dates it's been off the road. Both you and the gardai then need to sign this declaration of non-use.

I am not sure about requirements for insurance, perhaps if you phoned the insurance company they could advise on their requirements.

Is it possible to insure yourself on a car when you're not the owner?
We have a family car, the named owner is recently deceased, and it's been off the road for months, so the tax expired.
We want to be able to use it but no-one is insured on it and it's not taxed.
Can we get insured on it ourselves even though it's not yet been transferred to our ownership?
Plus how does the tax work? I know we have to tell the guards it's been off the road and get them to stamp something. But can we tax it when we don't own it?

Thanks

Is the car part of the estate of the deceased ? Will it have to be sold ? Was there a will leaving the car to someone else ?

The car is part of the estate and bequeathed to one of us in the will.
We want to be able to use it without waiting for probate to complete, as that will take a few months yet.
The key question for us is can we insure the car without formally owning it?

Thanks

Back