Insuring a high-value laptop

JackKelly

I operate as a director/employee of my own limited company. I'm looking to get my business laptop insured. I've looked at many of the "gadget" insurance offerings but they are are mostly underwritten by the same UK company and they all only insure up to a value of around €1500. My laptop is much more valuable than that due to the nature of my business (~€5000).

Does anyone know where I could get insurance on this laptop outside of the gadget insurance companies? I'm not sure where to look

Does anyone know where I could get insurance on this laptop outside of the gadget insurance companies? I'm not sure where to
You can try get it added as a specified risk item to your home or business insurance.
Contact your insurer / broker.

How is the laptop more valuable because of the nature of the business - are you saying it is a very high spec laptop or are you talking of the value of the data stored in the laptop?

Sounds like you need to store your confidential\business data on a cloud service and then if your laptop is stolen\breaks you don't loose any valuable data.

Sounds like you need to store your confidential\business data on a cloud service and then if your laptop is stolen\breaks you don't loose any valuable data.

Absolutely. So many downsides in terms of data protection and continuation of business to have anything critical stored on a laptop.

Well, macbook pro costs about 3400€ in ireland... so more costlier if its a higher spec mac...

Well, macbook pro costs about 3400€ in ireland... so more costlier if its a higher spec mac...

OP stating the value was €5k due to the nature of the business suggests there's more to it than an expensive laptop.

OP stating the value was €5k due to the nature of the business suggests there's more to it than an expensive laptop.
Possibly just that due to the nature of their business, they need a top spec laptop. E.g a graphics designer needing a top end mac.

Possibly just that due to the nature of their business, they need a top spec laptop. E.g a graphics designer needing a top end mac.

So then it's worth €5k because that's what it cost, and what it'll cost to replace...Not like the laptop of crypto exchange QuadrigaCX's founder has value due to the nature of his work. Perhaps just badly worded by OP.

Back