Motor Insuring a car with no driver license

UbiquitousQ

Tried googling this but can't seem to find answers. I don't drive but recently acquired a car. Want to keep the car and have a relative use it. Do you know if I can be the main policy holder if I don't drive (I imagine not). So then, can my relative become the main policy holder?

1st option no
2nd option no, this is referred to in insurance terms as "fronting", where the main driver is actually the secondary or "named driver".

Even if the relative becomes the registered owner of the vehicle (as distinct from the beneficial owner)it is still fronting.

Get a learner's permit and learn to drive.

Last edited:
1st option no
2nd option no, this is referred to in insurance terms as "fronting", where the main driver is actually the secondary or "named driver".

Even if the relative becomes the registered owner of the vehicle (as distinct from the beneficial owner)it is still fronting.

Get a learner's permit and learn to drive.

Out of interest is your answer based on market practice or is there a technical basis for it ?
I see that my own motor insurance policy seems to contain the usual requirements that drivers must hold a licence to drive the vehicle. I see no reference to the owner being required to hold a licence.
Would OP's ownership of the vehicle not constitute an adequate insurable interest or will insurers just have none of it.

My recollection of my first insurance policy - need to have a licence to get insurance.
The policy holder has to be the owner or the spouse of the owner.

Back