Insurance when working from home

Hans

I have been advised by my insurance company that I need to take out extra insurance when working from home I cant see why this is strickly necessary as I have very little extra equipment that I wouldn't have anyway as a house holder eg computer and laptop also I wont have anybody coming doing business to my house so shouldn't have any public liability. Is this just someone trying to make extra money from me.

Are you directly with an Insurance company or through a broker? Go through a broker is my advice.
Some household policies will strictly exclude home offices, however there are enough household policies out there that will give you an option for a home office. Talk to your broker, if no luck there try http://www.goldenpages.ie/search/insurance.html

Thanks for that but is there any advantage for me in my situation in having extra insurance.

Well, I would imagine that any equipment bought with "business" funds would not be covered if there was a break in. At least that's what I was told when I asked did my policy cover a home office.

It's a ridiculous situation which just allows your current insurer to squeeze some extra cash out of you. I'm in the same position. I work from home with just a laptop and no visitors to my home, but because i bought the laptop with my 'business mastercard' it's not covered.

As said already, I'd say there are plenty of policies out there that will cover it. Or you could just try putting the pressure on your current insurer?

Don't expect independent, professional advice from somebody with a vested interest in selling you something. If you want to assess your needs for additional insurance then talk to an independent advisor.

Might be worth remembering that in some cases planning permission may be required for using your home as a place of business and many privately managed developments disallow such use.

Back