Insurance- Two cars, two policies?

S

seandel

I have an insurance policy on my current car with my wife as a named driver. 4 years no claims.

Because I'm changing job we're going to need a second car, I'm trying to work out whether we're better having both cars on one policy, or seperate policies. Anyone been through the intircacies of this recently?

cheers
Sean

You have to have a separate policy for each car. I dont think any insurance company here does a multiple car policy unless you have a fleet of cars. I saw something on an advert on tv for England about having two cars on the one policy. It would be a great idea. I have one car for business and the other for private use and wish I could put the two into one but I doubt it will ever come in here. The insurance companies would lose too much money.

true, you'll need a 2nd, separate policy. The downer is that you wont' have an NCB to use on it, normally, so it could get expensive.

However, all is not lost: go to your exising insurer, and tell them you're getting a 2nd car, and you need cover for it. Some will give a discount for giving them a 2nd policy. Then, tell them you want your NCB mirrored, as well - effectively giving you an NCB on your 2nd car.

Also, depending on which is your 'primary' policy, it might be cheaper for the driver of that car to be your wife............and you drive the 2nd car. Perverse, I know, but that's insurance co's for you...

Not all co's will do it, but do ask. If they don't, try others and tell them what you're trying to do. You'll pay more than for 1 policy, but less than for 2.

If your wife is a named driver some companies will give her some NCB starting off if she gets the insurance in her name. This happened to us and made quite a difference.

true, you'll need a 2nd, separate policy. The downer is that you wont' have an NCB to use on it, normally, so it could get expensive.

However, all is not lost: go to your exising insurer, and tell them you're getting a 2nd car, and you need cover for it. Some will give a discount for giving them a 2nd policy. Then, tell them you want your NCB mirrored, as well - effectively giving you an NCB on your 2nd car.

As per galwaytt, I would also recommend going to your existing insurer and telling them the story. I did this last year when I wanted to have two cars. They offered me 2 years NCB on the 2nd car, as a good will gesture.

:)

Back