Motor Insurance that has no limitations on number of permanent changes

tecate

As per thread title, I'm looking for an insurance policy that doesn't have a limit on the number of registration/car changes that I make in a year. I don't mind paying for the privilege of changing - but need a policy that doesn't cap the number of changes.

I like to change car quite often and buy my cars in the UK.

@Ravima : Well, that's the thing :-(

I was sourcing cars in the UK purely for myself. Did that last year. Then went to replace this year.

At that point, I found that people were offering me money for the car I brought back...so I started going back more regularly.

I guess that will ultimately be deemed as 'trading' even though I'm not a 'dealer' in official terms and I don't do this full time. It's a hobby that I enjoy and makes me a modest bit of pocket money (which of course I will declare to revenue at the end of the year).

I've been told by the insurance company that I can only do a limited number of 'permanent switches of insurance' per year. These cars would be driven on a personal basis by me for a time (could be a few weeks) - imported by me privately in my name (unlike a dealer who doesn't get recorded as the owner per se of the imported vehicle).

Finding this very frustrating. Surely there's a product on the market that caters to the amateur/hobbyist/part time guy who uses a car privately but may choose to re-sell (even if repeatedly)?

Last edited:
You're a trader then. Some companies will charge €500 per substitution, others will charge whatever they want. You have no option other than take out a motor traders policy. You should also ensure that you register with Revenue for VRT and keep a note of profits for tax purposes.

A private motor policy is for a private motorist not a trader.

You buy a car and insure it, you sell it and buy another, and adjust the policy to suit the new risk, and so on. What's capped is the amount of uncharged policy adjustments, the avery being 3.

Insurance companies will be only too happy to make any future adjustments required after that, but for a fee.

You would be classed as a part time motor trader, our motor dept. can obtain a motor trade policy for part time traders, which would make life a lot easier for you. You are eventually going to run into trouble with your private car insurer IMO. If they decide that you are a vehicle trader in anyway, they will cancel your policy. You could also run the risk of not being covered if you need to drive a vehicle and can't contact them or if their is a mix up with the vehicle details.

You would be classed as a part time motor trader, our motor dept. can obtain a motor trade policy for part time traders, which would make life a lot easier for you.
Will send PM shortly.

You are eventually going to run into trouble with your private car insurer IMO. If they decide that you are a vehicle trader in anyway, they will cancel your policy.
To have a policy cancelled rather than to walk away from it myself - is there a difference? i.e. is cancellation viewed badly when I go to renew insurance in the future?

You're a trader then.
It also means you have obligations to the people you sell to over and above those of a private citizen. I find it very hard to believe people just offer you money for your cars out of the blue and that you don't solicit through advertising. Cynical old me, for shame.

Last edited:
It also means you have obligations to the people you sell to over and above those of a private citizen. I find it very hard to believe people just offer you money for your cars out of the blue and that you don't solicit ads through advertising. Cynical old me, for shame.
I'm aware of my obligations, thanks. I'm not really getting in to what you believe on a hunch (and how relevant is it anyway to the query I presented with).
Bottom line....I proactively contacted my broker as someone suggested that this may not look on this favourably. That's the advice I'm getting above. I've already acted on that - with one quote received, another in the works and hopefully Jimbobp can assist me with another quote. It's quite likely that sometime next week, I'll be on motor traders insurance. I trust that meets with your approval.

It reads as if you are one of the many "duckers and divers" selling cars online and passing themselves as private citizens to avoid their obligations to consumers. Just to be clear, you did nothing proactively, you merely reacted to the need to make frequent, permanent insurance changes; @Ravima got it in one. Having a motor trader's insurance policy doesn't make you a motor trader, buying and selling cars does :) You reacted to admitting to being a motor trader by pricing policies. Anything that offers appropriate legal protections to your customers and insurance cover to others while you drive your stock-in-trade around meets with my approval.

Thank you Ravima & Jimbobp for your constructive and informative posts. It's very much appreciated.

Back