Motor Insurance renewal - loss of no claims discount

fme

Hi all,
I recently received my insurance renewal which was a lot more than I expected. I discovered that this was due to my no claims discount being 'stepped-back' due to a claim within the last year that I had made. However that claim was made on the basis of verbal assurance from the company and of reading my insurance cover letter, which stated that:
<quote>
"Your policy contains many benefits exclusive to <our> policies such as:

*Lifetime No Claim Discount Protection on Fire, Theft and Windscreen claims.
*No Claims Discount Protection which covers the policyholder for 1 third party or own damage claim, amount unlimited, in a 3 year period without loss of No Claims Discount.
<unquote>

I brought this to their attention but they refused to re-instate the full no claim discount, citing that i should have read the complete policy document which apparently states that I am in fact not covered for any of the above.
My argument is that the above cover letter is extremely misleading.

I have since gone with a different insurance company but am still having to pay extra.

Does anyone think I have a case for complaint?

Policies contain loads of benefits, but you may not have purchased the benefits. Check your original proposal form and read the policy schedule which should tell you which sections of the policy are applicable to you.

For instance most insurers provide the same policy booklet whether you have TP, TPFT or full Comprehensive. It is the policy schedule, a sheet attached to the booklet, that says which section is applicable to the policyholder.

Ravima is correct. You need to re-check the main policy statement to see what options were actually covered in the policy you signed up

Back