Motor Insurance Renewal Dilemma

Irishchappie

I'm with an insurance company for about 3 years now and I've been very happy with their service up until now, my renewal is due at the end of the month and I was not happy to find that they have increased my renewal premium by over 30%.

I haven't made any claims, haven't changed my car or moved to a new address. In fact I'm probably using my car less than I did last year, but not enough to move into a lower mileage bracket..

When I was shopping around I found that a lot of the other quotes were cheaper but not offering as many benefits and cover options included in their price as my current insurer, a few examples:

- One only offers cover for windscreen damage but not side or back windows, - Others look for a far higher excess
- Others only provide €1k towards fire brigade costs and I have heard of people getting €2.5k bills from the Fire brigade after calling them to an accident they were involved in..

So I'm in a bit of dilemma, do I stick with them and pay through the nose or risk taking a reduced cover elsewhere???

I.C

This proves that you need to carefully consider policy wordings. Price is not necessarily the critical issue in insurance.

Back