Insurance for Timber Frame House?

C

cormac76

Hi all,

First post and all that, done a quick search & scan, but didn't find anything similar, so apologies if this topic already exists.

I've purchased a timber frame end-terrace new build house, due to be ready mid to late August, so I need to get my skates on now & sort out the insurance, already moving on the Mortgage Protection.

Most of the sites that I've seen that quote you online, eg Hibernian, 123.ie & Allianz, stipulate that the quote is based on the house being constructed of brick,stone or concrete with slate or tiled roof.

Can anyone recommend somewhere for a reasonable insurance quote for a timber frame house?
Also, does anyone know roughly what % extra you pay for timber frame?

Thanks in advance,
Cormac.

I'm sure if you ring them and tell them it's timber-frame they'll quote you. Mine is timber-frame, and no difference in price.

Phone the relevant companies and speak to them...a huge number of houses built these days are timber frame so shouldn't be a major issue. When I was insuring our house, the only thing the insurance company wanted to know was the name of the timber frame manufacturer.

Post crossed with conor mc

Thanks for the advice - just wondered if I should be expecting a premium for timber-frame.
Will ring around and see what they come back with.

I'll post results on how I get on here for future reference.

I live in a timber frame too and when getting quotes I asked if there was a premium and was told there wasn't. We got the best quote from FBD the last two years.

Here's the results I got based on my circumstances - obviously everyone's will differ, depending on location, age, claims etc.

Best to Worst, based on €200k rebuild & €60k contents, smoke alarms & no burglar alarm at present.
I know the contents seems excessive, but I started @ that price for one company and so quoted all the same for comparison purposes.

123.ie €319.27, €125 excess
FBD €346.33, €100 excess
Allianz €429.00, €125 excess
Hibernian €443.00, unsure of excess (I didn't ask)
AA Ireland €459.00, €200 excess

I'm sure there are companies I've missed out on, if anyone can suggest any competitive ones worth contacting, please let me know.
Again, the above figures are for my circumstances, and will be different for anyone else.

Also, specifically related to timber frame houses, one company asked me for the name of the timber frame manufacturer, to make sure they are listed as certified and reliable. Its worth arming yourself with this prior to ringing.
Another asked me the type of timber frame, was it timber with bricks outside, etc. I'm buying from a developer, so unsure of the exact details here, again worth getting this info prior to ringing around.

Finally, some offered a reduction/refund when an alarm is fitted, though one company said they specifically don't distinguish, to make sure you're covered if there's a malfunction in your alarm or if you forget to put it on.
Not sure how every company's policy stands up to this scrutiny, are you still covered if you forget to turn it on, but worth asking.

Hope the above is of some help to people, again any competitive companies I should contact, please let me know.

The only thing about he above quotes that may differ between companies is were they quoting with or without accidental damage. Our Home insurance is with Allianz and they automatically quoted with AD cover, but when I was looking for a different quote this yr I tried 123.ie hearing they were very good, they were but had no AD cover, in my mind making policy worthless.

cormac76 said:
Hi all,

First post and all that, done a quick search & scan, but didn't find anything similar, so apologies if this topic already exists.

I've purchased a timber frame end-terrace new build house, due to be ready mid to late August, so I need to get my skates on now & sort out the insurance, already moving on the Mortgage Protection.

Most of the sites that I've seen that quote you online, eg Hibernian, 123.ie & Allianz, stipulate that the quote is based on the house being constructed of brick,stone or concrete with slate or tiled roof.

Can anyone recommend somewhere for a reasonable insurance quote for a timber frame house?
Also, does anyone know roughly what % extra you pay for timber frame?

Thanks in advance,
Cormac.

Hi Cormac,

Do you know the manufacturer of the timber frame? The National Standards Authority of Ireland have a registered timber frame manufacturer list, the majority of well known manufacturers are listed. If the manufacturer of the timber frame on your property is listed, then cover can be provided.

bambino said:
The only thing about he above quotes that may differ between companies is were they quoting with or without accidental damage. Our Home insurance is with Allianz and they automatically quoted with AD cover, but when I was looking for a different quote this yr I tried 123.ie hearing they were very good, they were but had no AD cover, in my mind making policy worthless.

Hope you don't mind me asking, is the property owner-occupied or rented?

bambino said:
Owner occupied don't think most places will give AD cover on rental properties

You're right, they won't. 123.ie does provide A/D cover but as an optional extra, we don't automatically quote with it.

To answer the questions - yes all quotes were with Accidental Damage included as far as I can remember - though I will double check with 123.ie before I take out any policy.

I've since got the certificate of compliance for the timber frame manufacturer faxed to me by the construction company, but again I'll double check they are listed prior to signing any policy.

The property will be owner-occuppied as well.

If any of the above is incorrect I will correct it after speaking to the insurance companies again.

Thanks...I'd be very interested cause our new house is timber framed and I'd be more than wiling to change if offered a better deal.

cormac76 said:
Hope the above is of some help to people, again any competitive companies I should contact, please let me know.

Have you tried AXA and/or Quinn direct? I think both might also do a discount if you have motor insurance with them (AXA def do).

Can someone please advise if "Timber Frame" refered to in this thread means - Timber Frame with Concrete block surround, or literally a timber built house ?

When trying to get quotes online the insurance companies say that the house must be of "Standard" construction made of brick, concrete with tiled or slated roof - No mention of Timber frame construction.

Would like to know if anyone has experience of insuring a timber frame house with concrete surround - is this Standard Construction for insurance purposes ?? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My house is timber frame with block surround as described above. Took out 1st insurance with FBD whilst building and have stayed with them after completion - value of property has risen in the last 3 years from the build price of €125k to present €300k. Never paid more than €350.

Last insurance was €309 - building insured for €300k, contents 30% of building, excess of €100 - accidental damage, freezer contents loss, €xx for jewellery, (listed seperately), shed contents, anything on my land is covered, (if the childs bike was pinched, I could claim!), also public liability on walls, fences etc falling and damaging people or property.

Touch wood not had to claim - hope I never have to either!!

My house is timber frame with concrete surround. Just got insurance with 123, got house insured for €250k (rebuild value) , contents €50k (incl my engagement ring) for €314 a year.

Got life assurance with them also and got 50% discount on it for first year.

Thanks for replies guys. One can get insurance quotes alright, and indeed insurance cover, but......

I suppose my real question is if a timber frame house with concrete surround is classed as "standard construction" for insurance purposes - anyone out there in the insurance industry who can clarify ?

Thanks a lot

No timber framed with comcret surround are still timber framed. It should be noted that aslong as the contractor is isai (iasi?) approved or there is homebond on the house you will not incur a higher premium (I asked!)

Well, I have been advised that Hibernian Insurance class timber frame with block surround "standard construction", perhaps they should amend their website to clarify this ?:)

Back