Other Insurance for self employed

Pickle

My friend is going out on his own as a sparks for the first time and has 3 months work lined up. What is the basic insurance he needs to get started as money tight as you can imagine. Who is best to go with and any other advice welcome. cheers

Public Liability is a must! Depends what type of work he is going to be doing. Best policy on the market is probably on a scheme for electricians with Arachas insurance brokers.

Eventhough money will be tight, if he has dependants, make sure he takes out a small life insurance policy, say for €10 per month. Once he starts earning and paying tax, he will be able to get tax relief on the premiums.

I have a similar question but couldnt find a thread on income protection.
I had cover with Combined insurance but cancelled it because of over selling and crappy payouts.
Whats the best company to put a few quid in my pocket if I'm sick or in an accident.
My budget is very tight at the minute.

Thanks in advance

For income protection which will payout if you cannot work due to sickness or accident (after a certain period) there are several policies available at the larger insurers. Friends First and New Ireland would have the best products.

As money is tight see can you add personal accident cover to your life assurance (if you have some).

Income protection really does vary from person to person. The rates (and the most appropriate company) will depend on a number of factors: Occupation, level of cover, indexation options etc. Irish life also offer a good income protection policy. Try and get advice from someone that deals with a number of different providers.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back