Insurance for scaffolding in neighbour's garden

Marion

I need to use my neighbour's property to erect scaffolding in order to build a 2-story extension. My building will be just inside the boundary wall and I am not sure whose insurance will cover this. I haven't made a contract with a builder yet - this will be done when planning is finalised this month. (Decision is just made. I just have to wait a couple of weeks in the event of an appeal).

Will the builder's insurance cover any accident on my neighbour's property Or, if an accident occurred would my neighbour's insurance have to carry the cost? Do I specify that my builder indemnify my neighbour in the event of accident?

What is the usual scenario in this situation? I would like this information to hand before I ask my neighbours if I can use their property - they are very nice and I would like to do what is best.

Also, will I need to take out additional house insurance while the building is taking place, or do I just need to tell my insurance company that there is building taking place? More than likely, I will be changing my house insurance company in June, but the building will start (hopefully) before this.

Thanks

Marion

Your neighbour will rightly look to be compensated for any damage to property so you need to ensure cover is in place. You should insist on a copy of your builders employers and public liability, contaractors all risks(if they have it) details, this can be just a letter from broker noting insurer, policy number, period and limits for your own safety. you shouls also specifically ask will the cover extend to cover neighbours property (get response from insurer or broker)- under the builder public liability policy it should. However it wont cover damage to grass by the scaffolding or access to it so best to come to agreement with neightbour before work commeces - garden centre voucher, few bottles of wine......

You need to inform your insurer of the work taking place, they may reduce cover to fire only, try to get them to maintain full cover but you might have to lock any valuables in a room which cannot be accessed from the "open" sections of the house or move to another premises....... It is unlikely that any insurer other than "current" household insurer will cover this activity, fyi they will ask about security etc

Back