Motor Insurance for road trip from Ireland to Mongolia

FrCrilly

Hi All,

I’m trying to figure out how to get a vehicle insured for a road trip starting in Ireland and ending in Mongolia.

I do know that under the Third EU Directive 1992, an Irish driver can drive within the EU and is automatically covered to the minimum legal insurance requirement of that country with no obligation to inform their insurance company. This will get us as far as Hungary with a standard Irish insurance policy.

After this I am out of ideas on how to reach Mongolia. If any serious Motor Insurance knowledge head out there knows something that I don’t on how to complete the journey, I am all ears.

Thanks In Advance for all responses

Hi All,

I’m trying to figure out how to get a vehicle insured for a road trip starting in Ireland and ending in Mongolia.

I do know that under the Third EU Directive 1992, an Irish driver can drive within the EU and is automatically covered to the minimum legal insurance requirement of that country with no obligation to inform their insurance company. This will get us as far as Hungary with a standard Irish insurance policy.

After this I am out of ideas on how to reach Mongolia. If any serious Motor Insurance knowledge head out there knows something that I don’t on how to complete the journey, I am all ears.

Thanks In Advance for all responses

You'd be only covered TP only when outside of the terratorial limits (Usually, Ireland, GB and channell islands - depending on each country) when you say automatically covered - you would generally be only covered for 31 days comprehensive after that you would NOT be covered you would have to advise the company - as the policy is taken out within the terratorial limits.

Depending on what countries you plan to travel through to get to Mongolia - they may fall under the green card system.

Check with your insurer - if a once off - they may grant you TP cover at least.

Back