Home Insurance for Property Under Renovation

Nutso

Does anyone know of an insurance company / broker who will insure a property that is under renovation. It will not be possible to live in the property for approximately 12 months.

The property has been purchased without a mortgage however a loan will be required to complete the renovation.

I saw an old thread here in which someone recommended Kidd Insurances, however I checked with them and they said that they don't insure unoccupied properties.

We plan to renovate the property ourselves by sub-contracting it out (OH is a construction PM), perhaps we should get contractors insurance to cover it?

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.
Nutso

Hi Nutso,

I had similar problem last year trying to get insurance for house under renovation, however in my case somebody was actually living in it. I managed to get cover from an insurance company called Allied Risk Management http://www.alliedrisk.ie/ though on my actual insurance certificate it says CRL Insurance.

It may be more difficult for you as the house is unoccupied and therefore a higher risk but give them a call and see how you go.

We have a number of unoccupied insurers that we use. It generally boils down to your particular requirement, but in the majority of cases there are options available.

Back