Home Insurance for older house

noel123ie

Hi all

Ive a friend who is trying to get house insurance for an older house which is in Cork City and over 100 years old. This is needed before he can purchase this with mortgage

He cannot get this as it seems as if this age of house is recently after becoming much harder to insure. This is a normal 3 bed terraced property

Any ideas where he could go and would this be very expensive to insure

Thanks all
Noel

surprised at this , my own house is post famine era and I've chopped and changed 3 times in last 6 no bother.
Has it been recently plumbed and rewired or built to non standard or is it in the floodable area of Cork, dont think the age should be the issue

Lots of houses in Cork city now finding it hard to get insurance because of the flooding caused by the ESB releasing water from the Inniscarra dam a year or two ago - was this house flooded?

I just got a quote from www.123.ie for my 100 year+ house (I'm with Aviva but I don't think they are taking new business on old properties).

My aunt insured her house with Ulster Bank.

I think Allianz insure older houses too.

I have insurance with AA. They are very large brokers, have you tried em? Can't see 100 yr old house being a problem if it's in a good state of repair.

Noel, Why are the bank not referring your friend to the insurance company that they use when normally giving out a mortgage . Did they not ask for an engineers report before passing the mortgage. If the structure is sound the engineers report should be enough. As stated by Murfnm insurers are reluctant to insure properties in Cork due to past flooding. I think your friend will have to shop around before finding ins and being ripped off. These people are so out of touch with reality it is no wonder they are in the mess they are in. Who has your friend tried so far by the way?.

its not just the flooding that is the problem or that the house is 100 years old, it's the risk of subsidence which turns insurance companies off when dealing with houses in or around Cork City built prior to 1985.

It might be an idea to try see if you can get a quote with cover for subsidence excluded. Not alot of companies will do this but if you have a relationship with one already (ie car insurance/life insurance) they might be able to accomodate you

Back