Insurance for MP3 player

SillyBilly

Em... Sorry if this is a stupid question but just wondering whether buying insurance with an MP3 player (Creative zen) is a good idea. The guy in the shop was telling me he replaced his player multiple times under the insurance due to accidents etc. I know he's trying to make a sale, but in the case of an mp3 player that will be carried about everywhere is insurance a good idea? Would like to know what you savvy 'askaboutmoney' people have done! Thanks!

I'd say that you will end up paying the cost of the player in around 2 years, based on the fact that mobile phone insurance is usually around €6 per month.

My knowledge on all this stuff is a bit vague, what I'd be buying probably isn't insurance so. An extended warranty thing maybe? Just an extra 40 quid or whatever when I buy the mp3 player. I'm not sure exactly but yer man said he was able to replace his when he dropped it, and rather than just replace it he upgraded to a btter model by just paying the difference in price. (I know, I know... How am I even considering paying for something when I don't know what it is... er... :eek: )

K, really sorry if I wasted people's time, looked it up last night and it's actually product replacement cover. I'm renting so I don't have house insurance. I wouldn't bother with this product replacement cover on anything else, but I just wonder is it worth it for an mp3 player. I'm worried it'll be very fragile and as it's something you carry around there's alot of potential for dropping it and stuff. So it all sounds good but I'm really wary of things shops try to sell you when you're buying something else, if you know what I mean. I'm just curious as to whether other mp3 users have bothered with it. Thanks!

Watched a documentary on insurance on the BBC last week. I think it was called "Trust me I'm an Economist"??? At least that's what the presenter kept saying to everyone he interviewed. On insurance he advised people follow this rule: "you only insure what you cannot afford to happen/replace not what you can".
Based on this logic you'll insure your home, or against a car accident/theft etc. but not your mobile, pet's health or presumably your MP3 player.
He said that insurers play on the fact that we don't like uncertanty, with insurance we feel we are removing the unpleasant surprises life throws at us hence the rule.

You'll have a 1 year warranty anyway with the MP3 player.

The warranty will cover any damage to your player but not theft or loss.

Watched a documentary on insurance on the BBC last week. I think it was called "Trust me I'm an Economist"??? At least that's what the presenter kept saying to everyone he interviewed. On insurance he advised people follow this rule: "you only insure what you cannot afford to happen/replace not what you can".
Based on this logic you'll insure your home, or against a car accident/theft etc. but not your mobile, pet's health or presumably your MP3 player.
He said that insurers play on the fact that we don't like uncertanty, with insurance we feel we are removing the unpleasant surprises life throws at us hence the rule.
Indeed - in a similar vein...

I have had a creative Zen Micro for about a year and a half now and I haven't found it to be a particularly delicate item. It's had a couple of bumps and knocks and is still working. I tend to keep it in the belt clip case though so it has a little more protection. Overall I'd say it's about as sturdy as my mobile phone - hope that helps.

Back