Home Insurance for house in Probate

GlenGlasker

We're awaiting the grant of probate via a solicitor that has been delayed for various reasons and the insurance on the family home that forms part of the estate is due for renewal. There is no active executor (they have renounced their role) and the grant of probate hasn't come through yet so although the house will pass to my brother and I, we're not either the executors or owners of the house at the moment.

We spoke with the insurer prior to the last renewal which happened just after their deaths and were advised to let the policy renew as was (in parents' names) as we weren't the executors or owners of the house. The house is in an area with subsidence and we have subsidence cover so we're keen to remain with this insurer on existing terms if we can but are wondering if we'll be penalised now for having insurance in the name of deceased policyholders for the last 12 months or so.

The house is occupied by me and is looked after as my primary residence. For anyone who has had to do this before what's the best way to approach it with the insurer?

(I wasn't sure if this is more relevant to the Wills forum or Insurance so apologies if it's in the wrong spot)

If occupied by you, then you could insure in the name of the 'legal/personal representatives of the late XXX'. You spoke with your insurer last renewal, talk to them again. Occupancy is the main issue as if unoccupied, it will be hard to get insurance at all.

Back