Home Insurance for flat roofs; what does the terminology mean???

K

Kikitee

Hi all, currently shopping around for a new insurance policy. Problem is we have a single storey extension which just about doubles the ground floor space on our house and it's under a flat roof. I know from shopping around last year that about 80% of insurance companies won't even quote you if you have a flat roof of over 15 - 30% but what I'm wondering is, when they say "no more than 30% of roof area" do they mean no more than 30% of the overall area of your actual roof, or do they mean no more than 30% of your property?

The house is approx 90 sq m, with about 30 sq m being under the flat roof. If they mean the actual roof space, then 45% of the total area of the roof is a flat roof. But if they mean the area of the house, then around 30% of the area of the house is under a flat roof. And different companies have it phrased and stated differently, so that i really don't know which one they mean!

Would appreciate a translation from anyone who knows, it's the difference between getting a reasonable quote and having to continue to pay through the nose to Alliance, but at the same time I don't want to risk holding an invalid policy!

I've tried, but to be honest they don't sound 100% sure either, and as I say, I don't want to accidentally end up with an invalid policy!

Hi Kikitee, it's 30% of the physical roof not the total property, so if your extension doubles the size of your ground floor then it is approxamitly 50%. I'd shop around for quotes though, some companies willciver it if it fairly new or has been inspected or rewired in the past couple of years.

Hope this helps. Bear

Hi

Does anyone know of a company that covers a house that has 50% of roof flat with mineral felt ?

Back