Insurance direct debit / collections / solicitor

Theredhoodmask

Hey,

I am looking for some advice, I took out insurance with a motorbike company, I gave them my information for direct debit and once of payment of €90. I get a letter from them the next month saying they had an issue taking the monthly direct debit. I had funds in my account and my other DD that I have were coming out fine. They said there will be a fee of €15, I got this last year too and let it slide, so I checked my account and funds were still there, thought nothing more of it until the next month they sent me another letter saying I owe them €133 and if I didn’t pay by a certain date it would eventually go to a collection agency, I ignored this as the bank checked my account and said I did have funds and there was no issues.

I did receive a letter from insurance company in June dates the 17th of May which looks like they never sent out originally stating I owed them money, I never knew until a month after the original letter. Now I have 2 letters from collections agency which I ignored thinking there’s no issues on my side according to bank. Now I received a solicitors letter from this collection agency saying I have 2 weeks to pay the amount of €133.

Is there anything I can do here or will I have to pay these the above amount, they did say that I’ll be taken to court and some info posted in a paper.

Is this a screw up on insurance company and their mis match letters or on my side?

If anyone had any info I would be greatful.

Cheers!

Jack

Is this a screw up on insurance company and their mis match letters or on my side?

On every occasion that you were informed that there was an issue, you choose to ignore it and now you are asking random people on the internet to guess what the problem might be, rather than doing what you should have done in the first place engage with the insurance company and try to find out what the problem is.

The fact that you have money in the account does not mean anything if they can't request and receive it. Most likely there is an administrative error somewhere. Perhaps you give them incorrect information, perhaps they took it down wrong, perhaps there was an error in transferring it their computers, or their banking facilities.... You will not know until you engage with them and find out.

Agree fully with Jim. You have not paid for your insurance and you need to do so.

I presume that they have cancelled your insurance, so I presume you are not driving your bike any more?

Brendan

Still driving the bike an a different insurance, I asked them to cancel. So the best bet would be to pay them for the funds they were unable to take?

Brendan and Jim2007 are usually sensible posters and give good advice, they must be having a bad day.

You take out insurance and give them the information for the DD. They muck it up and expect to charge you for the inconvenience.

Then in a further show of incompetence
I did receive a letter from insurance company in June dates the 17th of May which looks like they never sent out originally stating I owed them money

or perhaps not so much incompetent as building a paper trail.

By rights customers should be able to levy some type of charge against them for wasting your time. I mean this sincerely, how much of my time has been wasted by appalling service from systems driven companies which cannot resolve even the simplest issue. Vodafone, Virgin, both Ryanair and Aer Lingus, Airbnb and that is just my experience since June.

I sent one of these a complaint recently and received a reply asking for certain info. I submitted the info, a few days later I received an email closing my complaint as I had not responded. Kafka never dreamed of it.

The practical reality is that there is no way that they can pursue you for €133. Forget about it.

Back