Other Insurance Companies contractor damaged property,want me to pay up before reimbursemt

gh0676

A building contractor from an insurance company did some work in my house in relation to structural testing for an insurance claim that has been dragging on for a number of years. In the course of their work they damaged the lino in my kitchen.

I complained to the insurance company about the damage and they advised that building contractor would reimburse me for the Lino.

I sent the building contractor a ‘quote’ for the Lino but he would not accept the quote.
He wanted me to pay up front and supply him with a VAT invoice.

Is this reasonable?

I would prefer if he paid me directly and I can get the Lino replaced when it suits me.

1.) Because I do not have the money to pay up front, I will need to get a short term loan.
2.) I do not want to get the Lino replaced immediately. I want to wait until the claim is settled / closed (this could be a minimum 6 months down the line). The insurance companies contractors have already done four excavations and assessments of my property and may require further testing, there is a high chance that more damage will occur if more testing is requested.

Can somebody give me advice on how I should approach the building contractor in order for them to compensate me directly?

You could ask the contractor to pay for the Lino directly.
Alternatively tell him to pay or you will go to a solicitor.

It seems a reasonable request to me. If you don't have the money ask him to pay for it directly. And don't worry about them damaging the lino again, if they damage new lino, you will just be again entitled to new lino.

I don't understand how you would need a loan for lino, how much will it cost?

We are looking at 600 Euro to replace the lino.

The builder won't pay the supply company directly.
I sent a quote to the builder for the Lino, however, he rejected the quote instead he is insisting I pay and supply him with an invoice 'receipt' showing VAT paid , he also wants proof that work has been carried out.

I want him to pay me directly but he is refusing.

At the end of the day he done the damage and has agreed that he will compensate me. It doesn't make sense that I need to pay up front, otherwise, only people with money could sue builders for negligent building work, because they'd have to get the remedial work done in order to produce VAT invoices to support the claim.

Also, I do not understand why he has proof that the work has been carried out, In my opinion he has to put back in the position I was before the damage and it should be none of his business when I decide to get the work done.

He has damaged your property, you are entitled to be reimbursed the reasonable cost of this damage AND if you choose to spend the money on 5 magic beans, that is your perogative.

I would be impressing upon the contractor that you have no intention of replacing the flooring until his investigations are complete - therefore there is no possibility of you claiming for the same floor again, which surely is in his favour.

Maybe he's slow in getting payment from the insurer and money is tight for him also (being so close to christmas) but don't let him bully you. Turn the tables on this guy and advice him that unless he's forthcoming then you'll inform your insurer that you would prefer a different contractor.

Back