Home Insurance claim - leaky roof

mum2009

I am trying to contact an insurance company re a leaky roof that has resulted in damage to the internal walls of the house.
The insurers are saying they will not cover as it is a maintenance issue.
What can I do if anything?
Thanks

depends on your roof flat/sloped maintinance could b a problem alright if a flat roof or switch your insurer and wait for some bad weather if u know what i mean

sorry should have said the roof tiles came off the roof in a storm over the winter so the leak was not noticed as it was in an area not frequented. Repairs have been done - but there is mould over the walls on beds and curtains in the room

depends on your roof flat/sloped maintinance could b a problem alright if a flat roof or switch your insurer and wait for some bad weather if u know what i mean

And we all complain when our insurance premiums rise?

You have two problems:

One, you have repaired the damage, so the insurer is prejudiced in that they cannot see the damage and assess the cause.

Secondly, you need an 'insured peril' to claim. Wear and tear is not covered.

Sounds like gradual deterioration to me. As the last poster stated, you already got the repairs carried out too. Bad idea. You've prejudiced your claim. Loss adjuster will walk in, see mould on the walls and won't know whether an insured peril operated (i.e a storm as you say in December 2009) or just general wear and tear. Think you will have to cut your losses on this one.

Got caught the same way. Problem did not appear on ceiling for some time and then it took even more time to find out where the water was coming from on the roof as there was no apparent damage.

I had to get a guy to do a thorough examination of the roof.

Insurer wanted to know the specific storm/date that caused the damage and of course I had no idea. Had to cover repair cost myself.

So I can understand the suggestion to wait for bad weather.

I took out insurance to cover issues like this and played it completely honestly.

Still feel I was screwed.

Back