Home Insurance after large claim looking for Quote

IrishGunner

So had fire in house and was with liberty insurance but claim was over €100k via Chill broker

Rang again and no quote except for company called Plum

Waiting to hear back from quote devil

Anyone got any other brokers or insurance companies who may give us a quote as most won't touch us after such a large claim

Your last company will quote, but at what price is up to them. You'll have to inform any company of your claim in any case when looking for a quote, and possibly be asked for the next 5 to 10 years if you've ever had a claim.

The last company would not insure as due to property been vacant and it lapsed

Going to ring some of the large insurance companies today directly and see if I can at least get a quote

Is the property an unoccupied property or your main res?

Yes last of the renovations getting done so due to move back in next week but its been vacant for the past 5 months

Update

Below gave us a wide berth

Zurich
AA
Axa
FBD

Still waiting to hear back from Liberty if they will take us as we claimed from them
Quote Devil
Chill - whom we used for insurance and gave us original quote of €2k via insurance co named Plum

If anyone has any good brokers they used in similar circumstances let us know as 2 refused us

Last edited:
If 100k got paid out, I'd reckon 2k is probably a fair quote in the scheme of things. Obviously the only reason you are getting a wide bearth is their underwriting criteria. But I'm sure you know that. Most insurers dont want anything were there is more than 2 claims in 3 years or so exceeding a few grand. So by default most wont take you on. And so you are left with the non-standard markets like Plum.
Nothing wrong with the product by the way and backed by a decent insurer. But I gather your issue is solely the price.

If 100k got paid out, I'd reckon 2k is probably a fair quote in the scheme of things. Obviously the only reason you are getting a wide bearth is their underwriting criteria. But I'm sure you know that. Most insurers dont want anything were there is more than 2 claims in 3 years or so exceeding a few grand. So by default most wont take you on. And so you are left with the non-standard markets like Plum.
Nothing wrong with the product by the way and backed by a decent insurer. But I gather your issue is solely the price.

Yes 2k v 140k I understand is probably a realistic expectation and shopping around seems to be

Going to see if I can get anything else as no harm in trying

Update

managed to get insurance for just under 1k from liberty and happy enough with that all things considered

Rang quote devil 2-3 times giving details and were due to ring back but never did so went with liberty

Back