Installing spotlight in chamber fireplace to light up stove - possible?

diver

I'm having a free standing stove installed next week into a chamber opening in my chimney breast.

I'm thinking that it would be a really nice feature if I could add a spotlight in the chamber, in front of where the flue disappears up the chimney, to illuminate the stove from above.

I'd obviously need a light fitting/cabling etc which would be extremely heat resistant. My stove supplier said he knows it can be done but he doesn't do it.

Do light fittings such as this exist? Has anyone done this? I would have about 1.5 ft from the top of the chamber to the top of the stove. The stove I'm installing is 9.5kw max output......a lot of heat when at full tilt.

All suggestions gratefully received!

I actually googled images of free standing stoves to make sure, and every one of them is completely plain on top. In other words, there is pretty much nothing to illuminate except a completely flat, undecorated stove-top. If it's purely for visual interest you want this light then it would undoubtedly be cheaper to just paint the chamber to show off the stove. Or is there something else you want to illuminate other than the plain top of the stove?

(google images results )

Hi Dubgem,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was merely to illuminate the chamber but as you say, it would really only light up the top of the stove.

I went through every single image and you're right, no lights! Even if it were possible, I think it could bring more hassle in terms of an overheating hazard etc.

So, the idea is scrapped!

Thanks for your reply.

It is a difficult question to answer but if you went into a good electrical wholesaler they could tell you if there is any suitable lighting available and what spec they have. I would think it is possible.

Hi Dubgem,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was merely to illuminate the chamber but as you say, it would really only light up the top of the stove.

I went through every single image and you're right, no lights! Even if it were possible, I think it could bring more hassle in terms of an overheating hazard etc.

So, the idea is scrapped!

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for bursting your idea bubble diver! On the plus side you might get a new idea from some of the images - I think the chamber painted a darker or richer colour looks very good, maybe that could give it the wow factor you're after.

BTW, if you're looking for ideas you should also look at Pinterest, you can even set up your own account and pin pictures you like to boards of your own. I use it a lot and it's great. It's especially good for pinning loads of images you vaguely like and letting you see what preferences "rise to the surface" (aka, which ones you're most drawn to without perhaps realising it). You can find it at www.pinterest.com. And yes, it's free :)

A good alternative when you aren't lighting the stove but still want to create a nice cosy focal point is to place a candle lighting in your stove.

We do this a lot on nights where its too warm for a fire and it does the trick.

Thanks Housebound..........I've actually got a large candle lighting in it right now and it looks great.

It's funny though........I'm really beginning to miss not having the stove lit now that the evenings are getting warmer!!

Back