Install doorbell cost

imalwayshappy

Hi all

Any idea how much an electrician would charge to install a wired doorbell? There is no infrastructure there like a transformer or anything like that. I am based in Dublin.

Thanks

I'm not being smart but I certainly couldn't even 'guesstimate' . You have given no pertinant information whatsoever. It is like asking , how long is a piece of string?

Is there a porch involved, if so timber, aluminium or PVC ?
Is the hall door timber or other?
How far from the bell push is the consumer unit?
How far from the consumer unit to you require the sounder?
Is the property dry lined or plastered?
Is there any handy route/s for cables?
Do you want all cables buried or is surface mounted acceptable?

The above will all have a bearing on the time required and hence the price.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a wired doorbell as opposed to the more modern version of an RF type?
Which is usually a 10 minute DIY job.

Sorry - I can't give you an idea of an electrician fitting a wired bell - but there are a lot of alternatives to a wired doorbell, which would be more cost effective - maybe something like one of [broken link removed] ?

I got this doorbell on Amazon.
The doorbell button you just screw onto the doorframe or wherever.
The chime(s) you plug into any standard three pin electrical outlet.
There is some basic syncing procedure.

You can get just one chime, two like me, three or more. I’d probably have done with one.

Attachments

• AC886EEA-6B01-4370-876A-72AA9F159938.png
    AC886EEA-6B01-4370-876A-72AA9F159938.png
    449.5 KB · Views: 199
Go wireless definitely, its not worth the cost/disruption to get a wired one installed (unless as part of a bigger rewire/renovation job on the house). There's plenty of basic ones available along with battery powered doorbell cameras from the likes of Ring, Eufy etc that double as a home security device.

Drakon's amazon one above is what we have also, just in white! Works perfectly. I work from home, so have one of the receivers in my office (other is in hallway). Nice & loud, no issues, no mucking with our brand new door either, we have it stuck on with its 3M sticky pad...no issues in rain!!

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I have had two wireless doorbells over the last id say 3 years, both are broken. They don't seem to last very long.

Fair enough, once bitten, twice shy.
Not that you’ll really need a doorbell for a few weeks anyway

There’s a plethora of wireless ones out there. The one I bought has a high rating on Amazon and more importantly, has less than 10% average-to-low rating.

My sister has gone through about four of those wireless ones, for some reason they all give up, I even bought her a couple of them myself as it used to drive me mad standing outside her door as she doesn't hear someone knocking from back of house (she doesn't keep her phone accessible always so pointless ringing/texting when you get there).

Anyway her most recent one is still going, she has changed the side of the door it was on to protect it a bit better from rain so hoping this one lasts.

Back