Inset door mat in wooden floor

frash

I'm getting a solid wooden floor put down in my hallway next week * am thinking of getting a floor mat inset into it.

Has anyone got one & would they recommend them or am I better off with a normal mat?

Thanks

Hi

We got solid floors down a couple of months ago and went for the inlay mat cos we have 3 kids and no side entrance, so bikes etc all come thru the house several times a day! I had imagined it would be a wood surround but we have this brass coloured rail around it and it really kind of grabs your eye if you know what I mean. I'm really sorry we got it done. The kids will grow up and we could have just put a mat down and sanded the floor in years to come!

we have one & I don't like it - if & when you decide to replace the door mat you have to be very careful to get one to fit as they're not a standard size......

We didn't get it done, and my head is wrecked! Any decent mat is too thick and the door won't open over it. Any one thin enough to open the door over is not really good enough to cope with the wet n dirty shoes....

When we got wooden floors we thought of doing this. The guy who lay the floor didn't think it was a good idea - said how would you be sure you could get exact size mat all the time and he didn't think they looked good. In the end we went for a normal mat on the floor (long runner) and are really glad that we didn't get it. We can bring the double buggy into the hall even on a wet day and leave it on the mat. Sometimes we have no mat down and the hall looks really big. Glad we didn't get an inset mat

I got my wooden floor in last year and there was going to be an issue with the height of the front door closing over it. One Solution was install a mat. The guy laying the floor did not want to do it, he thinks it ruins the look of the floor and the mat bit ends up filthy.

He also said like the other posters that the brass rail thing is a bit obvious too.
We got around the door issue and did not have to put down the mat. I am glad.

Pared it down as far as it would go and adjusted it up/down and every way.

To be fair to my wooden floor fitter, lots of other fitters would have just said, you have to have the mat, but he was honest, said he would prefer to not have to do that and spent absolutely ages at the door.

Back