Inserting files into Dreamweaver

mattym

I am trying to insert a word file onto a webpage using dreamweaver. When i drag the file icon to where i want it, i get "an error has occured while converting the word document to HTML". As i'm sure you notice, my knowledge of dreamweaver is not great. Any help is appreciated

Is your intention to make a link to the Word document or to convert it into HTML?

If the latter, how easy that will be depends on how complicated the Word document and how fussy you are about HTML standards.

If it's a simple document, try cutting and pasting the text from Word into the Dreamweaver document.

You can also try Word's 'Save as HTML' option, but this generates a very messy Microsoft type of HTML and compatibility can be an issue. There are utilities which can help. Dreamweaver has one built in and if that has failed, it could be because the Word document is too complicated.

Sometimes, you just have to hack away at the conversion.

I want to have the word document readable on the page. Tried to cut and paste but it wont let me cut. could the word doc be locked? Any idea how to unlock it?

I want to have the word document readable on the page. Tried to cut and paste but it wont let me cut. could the word doc be locked? Any idea how to unlock it?
It's possible the author has restricted the ability to copy the content. If so, ask for permission to use it.

In Word, can you save the document just as a text (.txt) file? Then open it in Notepad and copy and paste into Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver may also not like it if the file you're trying to use is already open in Word.

Back