Inline bathroom extractor fan in attic

SomeRandomer

Registered User
Messages
65
So I have a ceiling fan in my upstairs bathroom that's given up the ghost. It was vented into the attic but not out through the roof or eaves, just a hole in the insulation where it disperses (bad I know ). I've been looking at a replacement and I came across Manrose and Vent-Axia brands that are both an inline fan type that would be mounted on a joist in the attic. The Manrose is a "Manrose MF100T 100mm Inline Extractor Fan" and the Vent-Axia is "Vent-Axia 17104020 100mm Inline Extractor Fan":

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-mf100t-100mm-inline-extractor-fan-with-timer-240v/719gy

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/vent-axia-17104020-100mm-inline-extractor-fan-with-timer-240v/53730

Couple of questions:

- are these inline fans better than the ceiling mounted ones? Would anyone have a preference for either of the above?

- would most electricians be happy to crawl into the corner of an attic to fit one?

- is it OK to vent it out through a vent tile in the roof?

- is there anything else to be aware of, like I read about moisture going back down through the ducting if It's pointing upwards?

Tia
 
have a vent axia one, pretty good, not amazing. Certainly a lot better than a ceiling mounted one. Based on specs the manrose has slightly better extraction rate. Some not all electricians probably happy to install.

If you mean an existing incoming vent tile, that wouldn’t be ideal at all.

Good How to install manrose video here

 
I put a couple of Blauberg 150mm in previously that were reliable and quiet, might be worth a look as they seem a good bit cheaper. For example this has a similar extraction rate to those two you’ve listed - https://amzn.eu/d/eb9DOCJ or if you’re happy to spend >€120 their 150mm models have double the extraction rates.

They’re definitely better than €20 ceiling fans, but don’t expect miracles either.
 
Inline fans are miles better than ceiling mount ones.
BTW, that’s an outrageous price on Screwfix. That Manrose should be half that price. Check the likes of Amazon.
 
Is there a soffit you could go out? It would save going up on the roof and no chance of rain blowing in through it, that’s what I do with mine. In most attics you can reach from the attic into the soffit easily enough.
 
I spoke to a roofer, he said he'd come and put a vent tile on the roof when the fan is in place.
I have the Manrose fan, I replaced a cheap small one. Night & day difference & I only have it on the middle setting. I got it at probably half that price in the UK on some website.
I'm in a bungalow so getting an electrician to go into the attic wasn't an issue and I already had the vent tile in place from the previous fan ducting. I have two of those vent tiles, (bathroom fan/kitchen fan), and zero problems with them & I live by the sea taking the brunt of Atlantic storms.
 
I think you ideally you are meant to use rigid "sewer" pipe with that inline fan. Getting that kind of pipe down the eave to the soffit might be tricky. Perhaps you could use a more narrow diameter pipe but it might not be advisable to do that either.
 
I think you ideally you are meant to use rigid "sewer" pipe with that inline fan.
Depends on the fan itself, the specifications will usually indicate maximum duct length. Running as much as possible in straight solid pipe will see much better results, the typical cheap flexi pipes that come with many of these fans are rubbish and introduce so much turbulence into the airflow, the more turbulence the lower the airflow.
 
Back
Top