Injured bird in Garden

Shame on you Cav.

What?! C'mon - are you serious??

They're just doing their thing. OK it was a baby bird in this case - could have easily been an adult rat. I'm not gloating about 'the kill', I just find their hunting/killing prowess impressive - just as I do with the big cats on wildlife programmes. Birds kill worms (even baby ones), cats kill birds...It's just nature and I am an interested observer. Birds of prey even kill other birds and if a cat tried it on with an owl - and lost, well that's just nature too IMO.

Sorry, should have put a big grin after that one. No, not serious, even though I don't see why cats, domestic or feral, need to kill birds. I like birds, I detest those other vain, stuck-up, spiteful creatures. My comment was borne of prejudice.;)

You can get collars that will snap off it they snag on something.

Personally cats annoy me and more so their owners. They have a terrible habit of fouling up the garden and uprooting plants.

They're just doing their thing. OK it was a baby bird in this case - could have easily been an adult rat. I'm not gloating about 'the kill', I just find their hunting/killing prowess impressive - just as I do with the big cats on wildlife programmes. Birds kill worms (even baby ones), cats kill birds...It's just nature and I am an interested observer. Birds of prey even kill other birds and if a cat tried it on with an owl - and lost, well that's just nature too IMO.

But cats are not native to Ireland and young birds are at a serious disadvantage if they can't fly yet when it comes to cats. If my dog was to kill a farmers sheep, would it be ok because the dog is being natural?

Sorry, should have put a big grin after that one

I was wondering!

They have a terrible habit of fouling up the garden and uprooting plants.

Just doing their thing ... literally :)

I actually think dogs are much worse for this as it happens.

If my dog was to kill a farmers sheep, would it be ok because the dog is being natural?

The sheep are the property of the farmer - big difference.

... young birds are at a serious disadvantage if they can't fly yet when it comes to cats.

I'm not sure what point you are making - is it that it is not a 'fair fight'? Animals don't think like that and they will just go for the easier option - like the way lions will target an injured or old gazelle or whatever. I think you are being too emotional about it TBH.

Plenty of flora/fauna is not native to this country, I don't really think it's an argument. We just have to deal with what we have.

Have to say though, it never ceases to amaze me the widespread revulsion and mistrust of cats.

Have to say though, it never ceases to amaze me the widespread revulsion and mistrust of cats.

It's because they are

vain, stuck-up, spiteful creatures.

Horrible things. My aunt dumped one on us a few months ago. It steals my dogs food, bullies them(it's about twice their size:eek:) and this morning I awoke to a mangled magpie dumped outside the front door. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate magpies too (it's the songbirds I like) but why the hell did he have to bring it to the front door? Presumably trying to curry favour with me to displace my dogs, showing off how good he is, blah, blah, blah. It'll be the river for him soon.

I was wondering!

Just doing their thing ... literally :)

And if a dog was ripping into your cat, i could say the dog was just doing his thing .... literally.

I actually think dogs are much worse for this as it happens.

Maybe through but the owner would get ito trouble for the dog being off the lease.

The sheep are the property of the farmer - big difference.

My neighbour had a pigeon loft and a cat destryoed a lot of his birds. He was very upset about this.

I'm not sure what point you are making - is it that it is not a 'fair fight'? Animals don't think like that and they will just go for the easier option - like the way lions will target an injured or old gazelle or whatever. I think you are being too emotional about it TBH.

If a young bird cannot fly yet it can hide in heavy vegatation until it is strong enough to fly. It can protect itself from birds of prey. With cats they have a keen sense of smell and excellent hearing. Therefore they can easily detect and destroy the birds

Plenty of flora/fauna is not native to this country, I don't really think it's an argument. We just have to deal with what we have

Yes we do have to deal with what we have so people should put bells on their cats.

BTW, did you know that cats are deemed to be wild animals so the next time I see one in my garden I will shoot it.

:D (In response to Baldyman)

I really think a large part of the problem is that invidious comparisons are made with dogs. Are you a dog lover or a cat lover? etc (as if it were mutually exclusive)

They are really very different animals. IME people who traditionally have been dog lovers, whether they realise it or not, seem to expect similar traits in cats e.g. almost 'human like' facial expressions/emotions, unconditional loyalty, general eagerness to please etc.

Our feline friends just don't do these things.

:)

Upthedeise - are you OK?! You seem to be getting very worked up there!

Cats are like furry lizards; with a less emotional response.
A guy I know keeps pigeons. He has traps set for cats and if he catches them he kills them (just as he does with rats). I see no real problem with that; if their "owner" can't keep them out of other people’s homes then they've no one to blame but themselves if their bird-killing vermin gets killed.

Was that a bit strong ? :D

Cats are like furry lizards; with a less emotional response.
A guy I know keeps pigeons. He has traps set for cats and if he catches them he kills them (just as he does with rats). I see no real problem with that; if their "owner" can't keep them out of other people’s homes then they've no one to blame but themselves if their bird-killing vermin gets killed.

Was that a bit strong ? :D

Not at all strong, although I regard pigeons as 'flying rats'. Same thing really, just with wings.

This really is part of nature and let nature take its course.

If you could get the kids to understand this, great.

If not, go out and put the bird out of its misery.

Brendan

I agree , put him out of his/our misery - if it Charlie?

I think it may be a reference to Charlie Bird the reporter?

Don't know if it has significance in the context of this thread though - unless runner thinks he should be put out of his misery too?! :)

(cats rule BTW :p)

Back