Inheriting house + spouse

Leinstor

I currently own 50% of a rental house with a recently deceased parent. The remaining 50% of the house will be shared between myself and 1 sibling. Our plan is to pay off my sibling their 25% share of the house and continue renting it out.
My spouse is insisting on their name being put on the deeds as they are substantially contributing to the cost of this.
I have no issue with this in theory, but as we are married and share bank accounts is it not just a waste of money paying for paperwork?
Would they not have the same rights legally either way?

What if your sibling doesn't want the 25% value of the house in a pay off, they chose instead to continue renting the house and receive the rent instead with a view to cashing in down the road in 5 years, 10 years or whenever they want to?

I think your spouse is right to ask that joint assets be put in both names.
I assume you have a will leaving all to your spouse on your death? This may be sufficient but it is added security on their side if this is all done years before either of you may die.
I would think a reasonable spouse would acknowledge the significant contribution I made to a purchase like a house by having it in joint ownership. So if my spouse pushed back I would be concerned about it. There would be a risk you could alter the will, take the asset in a marriage breakdown, not share the rental income etc.

Is appropriation not an option?

i.e. the Executors juggle the assets and give Leinstor the full 50% of the house and give the sibling something else.

@gordon, I'd certainly be interested to know if that is a real option. In my mind a will is a will & cannot be juggled. Not a challenge just interested if it is a legal option. I'd be surprised if it was an option.

Hi Horatio

You may have misunderstood Gordon.

Say the property is worth €400k, so you are inheriting €100k worth and your brother is inheriting €100k worth.
If you are also inheriting €200k cash between you,

The Executor could give him the €200k and you the house.

However, I assume that is not happening as your spouse is funding the acquisition of a share. If you were inheriting €100k cash as well, you could buy his share directly and not involve your spouse.

Brendan

Back