Inheriting from intestate parents

SeaWorld

I would be grateful for some advice on inheriting from parents who die intestate. My Mother passed away last year and my Father is currently very ill and unlikely to survive for long. My Mother died intestate and her estate was never regularised afterwards as there didn’t seem to be a huge need for it. My Father never made a will either. The estate wouldn’t be very large, it consists of the family home and some bank/credit union accounts that they held both singly and jointly.

However, things became more complicated when my youngest sister recently announced that my parent’s house was signed over to her a number of years ago. This came as a surprise to me and our two other siblings. My youngest sister never left home although she has always worked in a secure public service job and could have supported herself. Although living with our parents she did very little to help them and was always waited on hand and foot by our Mother.

From what she says, however, the deeds to the house were never put in her name. I would have thought that the solicitor who arranged for the transfer of the property would have arranged for the registration of the deeds in my sisters name. Furthermore, to avoid problems down the line, surely the solicitor would have advised my parents to make wills ensuring that their other three children were provided for? This makes me question whether the property was in fact legally transferred to my sister. Is it possible for this to have happened without the deeds being registered in her name?

If it turns out that she is now the legal owner of the house and my siblings and I find ourselves at a financial disadvantage when our Father passes away, will it be possible for us to challenge the transfer of the house under Section 117 of the Succession Act?

Very sorry for your loss.

Its quite easy to find out - €40 (or thereabouts) to the PRAI will tell you all you need to know re family home & who owns it.

Edit to add: what your younger sibling did or didn't do isn't relevant. Stick to the facts & try not to let emotion cloud your judgement.

If the deeds to the house are not in her name then the house has not been signed over to her.

If neither of your parents has made a will then you will automatically inherit a quarter share each.

This is a personal minefield, made all the harder by your father's poor health.

Worth remembering that children have no automatic right to a share of their parents estate, unless you can show you were dependent on them and that proper provision was not made for you (under S117).
So if both your parents die intestate and the House was not actually signed over to your sister, then under the rules of Intestacy, all of you will share the assets equally.

What does your father want? He must love that ye are fighting over the inheritance in anticipation of his death.

stick to the facts is the best advice here. I have come across many assumed comments on what was supposed to have being done only to find out after death that it was not so. My only other advice to you is that when your father has passed that you find a reasoned and balanced approach to how all of you settled this as family falling out and regrets later are all too common. I would also suggest if your father is unwell that you do not burden him with this now

Thank you to those who have replied with helpful information and advice. Unfortunately, our father is too ill to say what he wants and we would not want to burden him with it in any case. We will sort it out among ourselves.

Back