Inheritance tax on Overseas Property

browtal

I would appreciate some advice on the following.

We have an apartment in the Canaray Islands. We recently had a friend who experienced large tax implications when her husband died and she wanted to transfer the property to her family after her death.

Is there anything one can do in advance, in terms of willing the property to family members or naming them as part owners.
We would like to leave the apartment to one of our three children.
Browtal

Yes. There's lots you can do. But the whole package needs to be tailored to your specific circumstances e.g. your nationality, where you live and for what percentage of the year, where you work, how old your kids are, where they live, where they work, what other assets you have, how long do you think you'll survive, do you want to pay them rent in the meantime etc. etc.

Best go to a professional specializing in international inheritance tax planning. It'll cost you for the advice but it'll be much better than any second hand advice read on Internet.

Hi Martin,
Many thanks for your reply. All your questions are easily answered except how long do I expect to live??
Nationality Irish, live here 9 months of the year, work here part time. Children 43,37,34, all living and working here in Ireland.
No assets apart from family dwelling home value at approx. €750,000. Shares,cash investments etc. value €130,000. Now 65 yrs healthy and busy life, husband now 74. Do not want to pay rent to offspring. Ideally would like to leave apartment to middle child.
Would really appreciate your reply. thanks Browtal.

Hi Martin,
Many thanks for your reply. All your questions are easily answered except how long do I expect to live??
Nationality Irish, live here 9 months of the year, work here part time. Children 43,37,34, all living and working here in Ireland.
No assets apart from family dwelling home value at approx. €750,000. Shares,cash investments etc. value €130,000. Now 65 yrs healthy and busy life, husband now 74. Do not want to pay rent to offspring. Ideally would like to leave apartment to middle child.
Would really appreciate your reply. thanks Browtal.

I emphasize that I'm no expert.

You do need expert advice with such a tidy sum involved.

The way I read it is:

It's almost certain you'll all be covered mostly under Irish tax law. As you are resident and normally resident in Ireland but you have a permanent residence in both countries, determination of the tax liability falls on other criteria. Your centre of vital interests is Ireland (as your family live there) + your habitual abode (9 months per year) = Ireland + nationality = Irish, same for your kids, so that looks pretty clear cut to me.

See[broken link removed] Article 4 section 2.

The house in Spain will probably fall under Spanish inheritance tax. Any inheritance tax paid in Spain could be offset against Irish liability for inheritance tax. But obviously it's better to pay none at all anywhere.

It's certainly generally better to have a Spanish will to explicitly cover the Spanish property as well as an Irish will. I've been through a probate and acted as an executor myself and I really appreciated that my folks had everything well organised to make it as easy as possible. Having a recognized Spanish will could potentially save on a lot of hassle of official translations and stamps from embassies. A concise list of assets, bank accounts, postal addresses etc. is also a great help.

see http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/articles/showArticle/spanish-inheritance-tax-spain-iht

You'd definitely better watch out. You may not think you're rich. But your children may fall above the threshold for inheritance tax in Ireland or Spain or both depending on how you split things up.

The main family house in Ireland is apparently only exempt if the recipient does not have any interests in another property: and you already have 2 properties.

see [broken link removed]

b) The recipient must not, at the date of the gift/inheritance, be beneficially entitled to any other dwelling- house or to any interest in any other dwelling- house

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat2.html

So you should probably be looking at your Irish house too, not just the Spanish one. And how you split these assets between your 3 children.

If you do the split correctly, your children may all be able to avoid inheritance tax completely in both countries without too much effort... e.g. split both houses three ways so that all 3 of them can maximize their personal tax allowances in both Spain AND Ireland. And then have them agree to "resell" shares to each other afterwards if only one of them really wants that house in Spain. Rather than just willing the house in Spain directly to the middle child individually. That second transaction might also incur some property transfer tax, which might be cheaper than inheritance tax, or they could just carry on owning things three ways.

You could also look at taking out a mortgage on the property so that the amount outstanding on the mortgage is in Ireland. Of course you're then going to have to pay interest on the mortgage, so that might not work out to be very practicable or cheaply either.

Otherwise one of your children could be forced to sell one of the houses to pay off the 20% liability on the excess above 521K in Ireland or 15% in Spain. And no one would want that.

Last, but not least, you could just relax and tell your kids that inheritance tax is paid by the recipient, not the estate, so it's their issue to sort out.

So I'd be seeking proper advice to manage / understand this risk properly.

Martin,
Many thanks for all the useful information which you compiled for me. I will get working on it. Many thanks Browtal

Spanish Property Transfer of Ownership tax implications

Hi,

We're in same boat. My Dad lives in Ireland and wants to transfer his Tenerife apartment to me (son). It seems to make better sense to do it now vs. inheritance/Will. I found almost no info online and tax-experts wanted to charge a few hundred just to have a meeting before they do anything.

I found this and it might help you: Below are two scenarios: A. gift tax rate (transfer asset now) or B. inheritance tax rate (doing it via a Will).

A.
-- property value 200k x21.25 (gift tax) =42,500

B.
-- property valued at 200k x34% (inheritance rate) =68,000
-- ie. your son would pay c. 26,000 more that way
-- PLUS he would be subject to 20% Irish inheritance tax =40,000

However an Irish/Spainish tax-treaty might mean Irish would honour tax paid in Spain and reduce that from his Irish inheritance tax bill
(but even if this is the case (please ask an expert) he would not get a refund for the 26,000 overpayment so it seems a more costly route. NB. the advice as regards Spanish property is always MAKE A WILL IN SPAIN in addition to having an Irish one

Google spanishpropertyinsight (one word) but it's aimed more at the UK or ByrneMcCall Ireland (one word) -- just emailed them this weekend for advice.

good luck, hope this helps a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
PS !!!

...I read someone mention something about Dad being taxed for transferring. It doesn't sound right that he'd have to pay for gifting but might be worth asking that question if you speak to someone.

I'm trying to find a thread to ask but no luck.
I might post a new question on this

I read today that the above could have little relevance following an article describing how the European Court of Justice will follow previous sanctions imposed on Spain regarding their discrimatory treatment on how non-residents are taxed compared to residents which would remove inheritance and gift tax involving property. Recent changes included:
CGT rate being reduced from 34% for non-residents compared to 15% for residents. Now balnaket 19% for EU citizens.

The ECJ also forced Spain to change how non-residents were taxed on rental income recived from Spanish property - in the past non-residents were taxed on their gross income while their resident counterparts were allowed full deductions. As of January 1 this year non-residents can now off set allowable deducations against rental income.

Today there was an article stating that their is mounting pressure from the ECJ for Spain to change their Inheritance and Gift tax concerning non-residents which would result in no tax being paid if the property is left to a surviving spouse or child.

very interesting, thanks for update Creditlimit.

The Spanish gift tax tax-free allowance does seem unfair compared to what Revenue allow.

Thanks for the update "Creditlimit".
Can you let us know where you read the article or give us a link to it.
This will have major implications for anyone who has property in Spain and remove a source of worry for many.
However even for Spanish Residents there is very little exemption in the case of a second property or holiday home. The concessions for Spanish Residents seems to just apply to the Principal Private Residence.
Would appreciate more info on this subject.

The implications could be far reaching and could possibly lead the way for retrospective claims to be made should the courts ruling be successful. The changes to the CGT rate brought about a huge number of claims being filed against Spain which are currently ongoing through a number of Spanish solicitor firms.

I recall reading an article about a successful judgement given in favour of a British couple who sold a property prior to 2007 having paid 34% CGT. It was deemed that they had overpaid given that a resident would only have to pay 18% which has set a precendence for others to follow.

The same could be said should the IHT ruling change...

I had another look and could only find the two links below mentioning the same story:

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the update CreditLimit. The court ruling could be very significant for a lot of people, and it could also really change the maths in this particular case. You might just be better off considering selling up the second property in Spain and handing over pure cash in Ireland as an option, and in the meanwhile renting for your own use in Spain.

@sextop+ It is certainly worth doing your own preparation and homework, but that couple of hundred in professional fees to check your assumptions and working out could turn out to be a real bargain compared to a whopping big tax bill. My experience with international accountants is that they can be very expensive if you do not ask them to comment very directly on a couple of very specific alternative scenarios. I've had two firms of accountants who were supposed partners happily mailing each other for ages on the relative merits of the two tax systems involved (with both of them charging me by the hour for the privilege). I learned that particular lesson pretty quickly. The next time I asked them to comment on a document that I had prepared myself stating the scenarios, all of the relevant tax treaties, the assumptions, the working out, and the resulting conclusion..... they didn't even charge me at all for that one as I'd done the majority of the work myself. But I did have piece of mind that they'd checked it over.

Also for a transfer, there is a property transfer tax of approx 7% to be paid by the buyer. IMVHO there is also possibly going to be at least some sort of notional CGT applied to your dad (the seller) on his disposal of the property, even if it is a gift. Although that assumes that there's been an increase in value over and above inflation and costs..... which might not be the case nowadays.

This isn't aimed at you in any way CreditLimit: and it's off topic to the OP's original question on Inheritance tax, but just a general pointer... whilst trawling through some background information I came across several "nice" people who are offering to process a CGT reclaim for foreign owners on the basis of no win / no fee. Just be aware that some of these people are requesting a commission on any win of in the region of 35%. That could work out to be a very hefty number indeed, so if you're certain of your case you should at least shop around, if not consider paying any costs yourselves up front.

Best of luck to you all [I'm still working out what to do for my own inheritance tax situation].

Back