Information on pension calculations after age 66.

So given I have 217 Class A stamps already, if I retire in December 2028, get 1 Class A stamp for that year which will trigger 51 stamps for 2028 and 52 stamps for 2027?
Yes.
If I'm right then I go up to 321 stamps
Yes. But only 218 (217 + the I new class A) of these can be counted towards the minimum 520 full rate paid contributions level. Credits of any type cannot be counted towards this level.
This includes pre entry and change of status credits.
All these credits are only counted after you reach the 520 full rate paid contributions level.
I then draw down 5000+ from the ARF which attracts further class A stamps
Further class S stamps.
But these are identical to class A for qualification for the COAP.
from 2029-2032 when I turn 66 mid year. (so 4*52 = 208) which means I get to 529 stamps so 529/2080 will get me about €80 a week
Even though your 2032 Prsi record will show 52 class S, not all these class S will be Reckonable. If your 66th birthday is for example 26 weeks into 2032 only 26 of your 2032 class S will be Reckonable. So at age 66 you might only have ~ 182 reckonable class S.

Add these to your previous 218 and you only have ~ 400 towards your minimum 520 full rate paid contributions.

You will only reach the 520 level during 2034.

A trird strategy could be chosen at age 66.
You would qualify for a mixed class pro rata pension.
You would meet the 260 minimum full rate paid contributions level.
All your pre entry and change of status credits will be counted in this pension calculation.
This is likely to be ~ €40 to €50 per week.
You could apply for this pension at age 66 to confirm how much you would receive, and then reject it if you are not satisfied with it.

I would recommend applying for payment at your local post office, if you want to keep the choice to reject the COAP open.
You have total controll over not collecting cash payments from a post office. If you choose payment to your bank account you would need to act quickly to reject the COAP award before any payments hit your bank account.
 
Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks for clarifying! One quick point to clarify.

1) Won't you get the full 52 class stamps in 2032 if you pay over the 5000 in the first few months (or the 650 PRSI) - I thought it was all or nothing?

Thanks again for all your help! I'll kick off in 2028 and see where I get to...

Best,

Opus 2018
 
Won't you get the full 52 class stamps in 2032 if you pay over the 5000 in the first few months (or the 650 PRSI) - I thought it was all or nothing?
This is what I thought until recently.
Having read other posters experiences, I am now inclined to think that a person can only get 1 reckonable class S for each week up to their retirement date.

It's all or nothing as regard getting 52 or zero class S contributions from an ARF. But some of these might not be Reckonable for COAP.

Again this is not certain, so you could for instance apply for the COAP at age 66. You will then know how many of your class S for 2032 are counted as Reckonable.

What I am 100% certain of is that in your retirement year, if you drawdown 5k from your ARF you will see 52 class S on your Prsi record but only the ones relating to weeks beyond your pre 95 employment will be counted.

So there is a precedent that not all your class S contributions are reckonable.

A self employed person with 5k + income in the year of their COAP is exempt from paying Prsi in that year.
This works because they would normally pay Prsi in the following year under self assessment rules.
So this person gets no class S for their retirement year.

ARFs are an anomaly. They are subject to class S Prsi but it is deducted under PAYE rules. If you take monthly drawdowns you get 4 or 5 class S per month. You are exempt from paying Prsi for the month your COAP begins. You are subject to class M, which is free of charge and not reckonable from your claim month forwards.

So presumably the person paying monthly regardless of the total being over 5k or not will only have class S Prsi on their Revenue.ie record for the months prior to their COAP claim.

Posters who have made 1 yearly drawdown have reported that they only have 1 month's Prsi on their Revenue.ie account. This happens even if they have paid over 5k. So it could be the case that only 4 or 5 class S might be counted as Reckonable.

The 52 class S for the receiver of a single drawdown does not appear until the following year. So when the COAP calculation is being made would the number of class S on the Revenue.ie record be what are using in the COAP calculation?


PS
This is what AI states

if I claim COAP on 1st july and I have previously drawndown 5k from my ARF for the year and had 52 class S applied to my Prsi record. How many reckonable class S contributions will be counted in my COAP calculation.


"If you claim your Contributory State Pension (COAP) on July 1st and have already met the €5,000 threshold from your Approved Retirement Fund (ARF) for that year, 52 Class S contributions will typically be counted for that final partial contribution year. [1]

How ARF Drawdowns and Class S PRSI Work
    • Annual Attribution: Drawing down a minimum of €5,000 in a calendar year from an ARF attracts a liability for Class S PRSI, which the Department of Social Protection treats as a full year's worth (52 weeks) of contributions on your PRSI record once satisfied. [1, 2]
    • Partial Year Claims: PRSI records for the self-employed (Class S) are credited on an annual basis rather than split pro-rata week-by-week upon retirement or pension drawdown mid-year. If the €5,000 threshold is reached and the 52 contributions are applied to that year's record prior to your claim date, the full 52 contributions for that year remain reckonable in the calculation. [1, 2]"
 
Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks so much for this update. I'd agree that I'd only get class S stamps payable for the weeks up to my 66th birthday. However AI also suggests that if I pay the 650 required by Class S say in January I would get the full 52 stamps for 2032 (as the 650 would be deducted) and these would be added to my total stamps for inclusion in the COAP.

I threw in the figures to AI and it suggested that I'd get up to (including my civil service career stamps which affect the figure below the line...)

(545 full-rate stamps / 2,094 total combined career footprint stamps) =26.02%.

This would work out at around €78 euro per week.

Best,

Opus2018
 
Back
Top