Information on early retirement

pingin

I've worked in an educational establishment for thirteen years, having had a couple of short-term jobs before that. Having just turned fifty and feeling somewhat disillusioned with my job, I've been toying with the idea of taking early retirement and doing my own thing. Problem is that I know nothing about pensions and entitlements. I have a managed pension with Mercer which would give me €7,000 p.a. How much of a State pension would I be entitled to on top of that? Probably not much!

I'm thinking of buying a house as well, so maybe it's not the best time to think about retirement. On the other hand, I could move to a rural location where it would be considerably cheaper.

Where can I find a good source of information about the whole pensions maze and what I'd be entitled to? Or is it all just a crazy dream on my part?

You won't get any state pension until you get to 68. You'll have to check with Mercer about the rules for your own pension fund.

If you do retire early, the benefits available are dramatically reduced to balance out the extra years of payment.

Back