info to provide when cancelling direct debit

pernickety

Hi,
I've done a search I swear :)

I'm about to cancel all the direct debits from my account and am composing letters.What information do I need to provide? I assume mortgage account numbers etc, but for a smaller organisation e.g. Oxfam, I have no customer ref just my name and address, will that be sufficient? Or should I include the bank and bank account no they currently draw from?
Thanks,

The bank I am with provides an option for cancelling them online - the ones they display that is. Others, such as my SSIA, are not included in the list of DDs, although they show in the statement as DDs :confused: .

Ask your bank for a list of DDs currently active. Then write to them and the DD recipient informing them that you want to cancel DD in favour of XYZ Ltd. with immediate effect etc.

Be aware that the name of the company on the DD may not be the same as the trading name.

I cancelled 2 direct debits with BoI recently. All I had to do was go in and sign a piece of paper to authorise the cancellation.

thanks for all, unfortunately I'm not in the country and can't call in. also I have no way of paying for the moment (waiting for cash from house sale) so I think i'll just leave it and pay all the charges for unpaid dd - bummer!

I have found that the easiest way to do it is write to your branch with the information on the direct debits you wish to cancel and they can do it for you without having to contact the receipents separately

Back