Info on SKY set-up

TarfHead

I tried to find this on the SKY site but was not successful.

After years of being resistant to the idea, I'm warming to switching to SKY for their TV service. The sticking point, to date, has been my reluctance to run a cable from the dish at the back of the house, to the TV in the front room.

Do SKY have a wireless option to connect the dish to the box, or are cables still the only option ?

Thanks

Hi,

Assuming you don't want to go for the NowTV option (which in truth, is a poor substitute) then I think you need to accept that there will be cables from your dish.

In my own experience, they ran the cables over the roof and from what I gather, it's best to keep the cables outside as much as possible (as there's less potential interference from other electronic devices within the home etc.)

I believe the new q box from Sky will not need a dish in the near future as it will be all done through your broadband connection, not sure when it starts but iirc it should be sometime this year

Hi,

Assuming you don't want to go for the NowTV option (which in truth, is a poor substitute) then I think you need to accept that there will be cables from your dish.

In my own experience, they ran the cables over the roof and from what I gather, it's best to keep the cables outside as much as possible (as there's less potential interference from other electronic devices within the home etc.)
Satellite box uses coax cabling, which is pretty much immune to interference from other electronic devices or electric cables - at least from anything even remotely relevant or useful in a normal home or office environment.
The reason it’s ran outside is usually because it is easier for the installer, and does not damage any interior.
Cables are currently the only option between sat dish and box, which is unlikely to change as long as satellites are used.
Which will still be the case for many years.

Sky still need a physical cable between the dish and the box as the signal is two-way between them, the box sends signals to the LNB to tune into the particular channel you want to watch. You could however put the satellite box in the attic and use a wireless AV signal transmitter to broadcast the video to your TV, with a Harmony remote relaying channel changing, etc. back to the Sky box.

Back