Indo love affair with Ferguson

W200

The Irish Independent love affair with the retired manager of a foreign football club continues unabated.
Today it devotes SIX full pages or 175 column inches OR approx 8750 words to discussing his latest book.
Must be a slow news day back home.

:rolleyes:

I think you might be underestimating the pull that Ferguson has in this country.

When Pat Kenny moved to Newstalk the Indo reacted as if the Taoiseach had dropped dead or something. Pages and pages of coverage. It was totally ridiculous. That paper is a rag.

When Pat Kenny moved to Newstalk the Indo reacted as if the Taoiseach had dropped dead or something. Pages and pages of coverage. It was totally ridiculous. That paper is a rag.

Unless you like it v stodgy & D4 centric (in which case you'll like the Irish Times) it's your only option (barring d'Exam-ner which would be fairly Cork-centric).

Far from a rag IMHO but I absolutely cant stand the Sindo and still miss The Tribune.

.. but I absolutely cant stand the Sindo and still miss The Tribune.

+1

Paul Kimmage went off on a mild rant on Newstalk on Sunday about the quality of content in the sports pages in Irish newspapers. Including in his own newspaper, the Sindo. It's available on podcast and worth a listen.

One aspect he cited in support of his argument was the occurrence of Premiership match reports in the Sports section of the Irish Times on a Monday. He reckons that anyone who is interested in such details has already satiated themselves via online media or live coverage. He favours the stories that give you new information, new angles on existing stories and analysis of issues. The coverage afforded to Ferguson's biography would seem to be fuel to Kimmage's fire.

Ditto to the recent 'spat' between Noel King and Eamon Dunphy. Should we care that there is an animus between them ? Should coverage of the last game include post-match distractions ?

Good chance Ferguson will be the next Irish Manager? Fingers crossed.

Both the Indo and the Sindo are now worthless rags.It would only take the sacking of 5-6 journos and some senior newsmen in the Indo to put it right,You really would need to sack everyone in the Sindo at this stage and start again such is the damage done to it over the last 15 years.

Seriously ? Why would he, it could only tarnish his legacy.

And club management is a different skillset. At international level, he can't go out and splash the cash to improve the squad, like he did with Bosnich, Kleberson, Djemba Djemba, Veron and Bebé :p.

it could only tarnish his legacy.

Nothing could do that,certainly wouldn't rule him out by any stretch.Not sure I see the point of appointing old managers like McCarthy or Steve "Im de gaffer I am" Staunton (not that he will ever be considered)

My initial reaction is still one of surprise that our " leading " ( according to themselves ) daily newspaper would devote six pages to someone / anyone who just happens to have written a second book

The Irish Independent love affair with the retired manager of a foreign football club continues unabated.
Today it devotes SIX full pages or 175 column inches OR approx 8750 words to discussing his latest book.
Must be a slow news day back home.

:rolleyes:

Ye should all be down south, lads.

The [broken link removed] backed Roy on its front page the day after all the furore! (And the ball has been thrown in and the game is on!)

Both the Indo and the Sindo are now worthless rags.It would only take the sacking of 5-6 journos and some senior newsmen in the Indo to put it right,You really would need to sack everyone in the Sindo at this stage and start again such is the damage done to it over the last 15 years.

Ferguson for Ireland - never !

Once a Hun always a Hun ;)

Anyway his brother Martin was a better manager - not only did he manage Waterford to a League of Irealnd title he actually played as well !

Back