Individualisation

Audrey

Can anybody explain the concept of [Individualisation?] in terms of the double income rate band of €58,800 for married couples? It is spoken of as something that provides a great advantage to married couples (especially in purchasing property jointly) but I'm not sure I can see where the advantage is. I have some vague idea that it is especially beneficial if one of the couple is not earning. Can anybody explain it to me simply please? Many thanks.

I've looked through the threads but to no avail.

My situation is that I've returned to full time education and am living with my partner of the last 6 years. I'm a full time student with no income, in receipt of no financila aid etc.

Can I give my tax credits to my girlfriend or does one have to be married married to share credits.

Regards,

Bob

thanks for the information,
I thought as much but my girlfriend was told by a couple in a similar situation that they were able to gain some tax advantage.
I'll look into it a little further.

Alternatively we could get hitched before the 31st - doubtful though...

Alternatively we could get hitched before the 31st - doubtful though...

It doesn't matter at what time of the year you get married. In the first year of marriage the excess credits are prorated (the most you could get would be one month)

Back